Chapter Six: Not Me

We entered the room, it felt eerie as I had a bad feeling about where the discussion would be going. Would we sacrifice one of our own for the rest of the world? If it came to that?

"We have to assume that they're going to come back, right?" I asked, although I already knew the answer to my own question. "There's no way that was the end. They can clearly find us, so we need all hands on deck."

"Where's Clint?" Bruce asked us.

"After the whole Accords situation he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest," Natasha explained.

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asked, confused.

"Ant-Man," I answered him, as if it were obvious.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce asked, even more confused. "Okay look, Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he's not going to stop until he... until he gets Vision's stone."

We all stayed silent for a moment. I looked up at Steve, the two of us standing side by side. I knew that the conversation was going to get deep, but what stance would he take? What stance would I take?

"Well then we have to protect it," Natasha spoke up, interrupting my thoughts.

"No, we have to destroy it," Vision said.

I watched as Steve turned his head now, looking at Vision. I knew this is where we would end up, at a crossroad.

"I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About its nature. But also its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source...something very similar to its own signature, perhaps...its molecular integrity could fail," Vision spoke up.

"Yeah, and you with it," Wanda said. I could tell her mind was already made up, she wouldn't destroy it. "We're not having this conversation."

I watched on, not sure when to speak up. I could feel Steve beside me, he was tense. I instinctively grabbed his hand, squeezing it. I felt a small squeeze back. A small comfort in what was to come.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain Thanos can't get it," Vision said, his voice sad as he spoke.

Wanda was shaking her head. I felt my own throat grow tight as the decision was now laid out onto the table.

"That's too high a price," Wanda said.

"Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him," Vision told us, justifying his reasons.

"But it should," Steve said. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life...to save how many millions of people?" Vision countered.

"Why is this different?" I asked, now the room looking at me. I could feel my cheeks grow hot as the entire room's eyes were on me.

"Mo-" Steve started, but I interrupted him. I could feel Wanda's eyes glaring at me now.

"I'm not saying that should be our first course of action, but if it comes to it..." I said, agreeing with Vision's point earlier.

"You can't be serious," Wanda said, her voice full of anger. I could see total betrayal in her eyes.

"It's not something I want. I just think if that's the path that saves the ENTIRE universe, do we ignore it? Pretend like it isn't an option?" I asked.

"What if it was Steve?" Wanda countered, her eyes narrowed at me.

"Don't do that," I said, warning her.

"No, Morgan, with your almighty wisdom, tell me. What would you do if you had to destroy your husband?" Wanda asked me, no mercy in her tone.

I could feel myself grow angry at her words. My finger tips glowed blue as I tried to calm down.

"You're right Wanda, but we're not talking about me or Steve," I said, keeping my voice even.

"But what if we were?"

"I couldn't do it, is that what you want to hear?" I asked her, my voice no longer calm. It shook as I spoke. "I couldn't do that to Steve, I couldn't do that to myself! But you, you're the one who has the power to stop this!"

"Can you destroy it, Morgan?" Vision now asked, the first one speaking up. Wanda and I both snapped our heads in his direction.

"What are you asking?" Steve spoke up. There was a hint of protectiveness in his voice.

"If Wanda can't destroy it, can Morgan?" Vision clarified.

"Vis," Wanda said, pleading now. I could tell she was scared I would agree.

"Morgan, I would never forgive you," Wanda warned before I could get an answer out. The tension in the room was so great, I felt suffocated.

"I can't, my powers they don't derive from a stone. They're a mixture of what was used on Steve and Bucky, with something else. Some other chemical," I answered.

"See Wanda, you are the only one who can stop this," Vision told her.

"But, we may have another way to stop this. To not have to even come to this decision," Bruce said now. "Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda asked, her voice now hopeful. I tried looking at her, but she refused any eye contact.

"I'm saying if we take out the stone there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts," Bruce answered her.

"Can we do that?" I asked Bruce.

"Not me, not here," Bruce said, shaking his head.

"Well you better find someone and somewhere fast. Ross isn't just going to let you guys have your old rooms back," Rhodes said.

"I know someone," Steve answered.

"Wakanda?" I asked.

"Wakanda," Steve answered, his words short and clipped.

We all left the room, going our separate ways before meeting at the jet.

Steve and I made our way into a secluded hallway, I knew we would have to talk about what just happened. I knew he wasn't going to be happy about what happened back there.

I knew this wasn't going to be fun.

-A/N I'm so glad to be back into the swing of things! And there's only 6 days until Christmas! 
Thank you all for your continued support and love on this story! You're all awesome!
QOTC: what do you think of Morgan's stance? And everyone's reaction?
As always please leave a vote or comment! I love hearing from y'all!-