Chapter Ten: Wish You Were Here

Steve's POV

"Where's your friend?" Natasha asked, wanting to strike a nerve.

"You will pay for his life with yours," she said to us. Her words were short and tight. "Thanos will have that stone." 

"That's not gonna happen," I replied. We would protect the stone at all costs. We had people to protect, Thanos wouldn't have the annihilation he wanted.

"You are in Wakanda now," T'Challa warned her. "Thanos will have nothing but dust and blood." 

"We have blood to spare," she replied. She raised her arm and the ships behind her started to raise. 

"Morgan," I started, but before I even had to finish she had grabbed onto all of us and teleported back to our front lines. I opened my eyes and we were back to our spots. 

"Thanks," I said to her. 

"No problem," she muttered. I could tell she was still on edge. 

"They surrender?" Bucky asked us. 

"What do you think?" Morgan asked, rolling her eyes. "Those super villains, they never make it easy." 

I chuckled a little. I could tell that seemed to ease her for a moment. I felt better. I was mad, so mad when she told me. I couldn't believe she wouldn't have told me something so huge, it affected the both of us. 

But, I was brought out of my thoughts quickly. There were thousands of creatures running for the barrier. I couldn't tell what they were. 

"What the hell?" Morgan muttered. 

"Looks like we pissed her off," Natasha replied. 

I looked down at Morgan, I was about to tell her something, but the words never made it out of my mouth.

Morgan's POV

I watched in horror as the creatures rammed themselves into the barrier. They didn't seem to care if it would kill them. An instant wave of fear washed over me. There were so many of them. They had nothing to lose, I had everything to lose.  

I watched in horror as they continued to ram themselves into the border. They continued to run into over and over, even if it meant killing themselves. The screams they were emitting made my hairs stand up on end. 

"What are those things?" I asked out loud, even though I knew I wouldn't receive an answer. They looked like the ugly cousin of the chitauri. 

They pushed through, some were starting to get in, even if only half of themselves at a time. I looked up instinctively at Steve, my thoughts running wild. 

"They have no thoughts," I told him, this scared me even more. "There's nothing there. It's like radio silence." 

He looked even more grim after this. I normally tried to be calm, but the panic was starting to bubble and at any moment it felt it could spill over. 

I looked down and saw my hands were shaking. I looked up and saw that Steve noticed too. He grabbed my hand in his quickly, I knew we didn't have much time. 

"I love you," he mouthed. 

"I love you too," I mouthed back. 

As several more made their way through the barrier the Wakandan soldiers put their shields up. They began shooting them with their spears. I stood behind one and began sending energy blasts, hitting several and feeling the panic go away. 

Sam and Rhodey flew overhead and took out a bunch at the frontlines, I watched in awe as Rhodes sent a huge bomb down on them. 

But, my time at ease was gone as quickly as it came because the monsters began to surround themselves around the barrier. 

"If they get behind use there's nothing to stop them from getting Vision," I told Steve. 

He looked straight ahead, knowing what we had to do. 

"Then we better keep 'em in front of us," Steve said. 

"How do we do that?" Okoye asked T'Challa. 

"We open the barrier." 

~A/N ahhh! Can't believe this book is already on chapter ten! Once more thank you all soo soo much for your patience. School, work, and wedding planning has been keeping me so busy! 

QOTC: What did you think of the split perspective? 

As always please leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed! Let me know what you liked about the chapter and what you're looking forward to in the next one.