Chapter Fourteen: Join Him

The wind started to pick up, I looked towards the sky as the leaves whirled madly around us. There was an eery feeling, like we were lamb waiting for the slaughter.

"Steve," I started, gripping his hand tightly into mine. "Before this is over I need you to know how sorry I am! I know I've already told you, but I'm sorry! I didn't know how to tell you without crushing you. I didn't know how to tell you I couldn't give you a family. I love you! I have always loved you."

"There's nothing to be sorry about! Don't talk like this, you don't know this is the end," Steve said, his eyes pleading for me not to be telling him goodbye.

"But what if it is?"

"If it is then you need to know you shouldn't be sorry for anything. You made me the happiest man alive. You have always kept me on my toes. You didn't need to give me a family, you are my family. I love you too and I have been so happy being your husband."

I grabbed him them, kissing him deeper and harder than I ever have before. I let my hands wander through his hair, letting myself fall into the kiss. Who knew if this would be our last one. I felt him kiss back, matching my passion. His arms snaked around my waist, holding me as close as humanly possible.

We pulled apart, eyes locked on one another. We both said our peace. I twirled my ring around my finger, grabbed his hand and touched his own ring.

"Forever."

"Forever," he echoed.

"Everyone, on my position. We have incoming," he said into the earpiece, still not taking his eyes off of me.

Everyone seemed to pile into the forest now, our moment over. Whatever happened next was going to change everything. My bones told me.

"What the hell?" Natasha asked, she was standing beside me now. I looked over at her. She nodded at me, a mutual understanding was said between us.

Then, we all turned to see a blue and black cloud forming. This was it.

A huge purple man, towering over all of us, walked out of the cloud. His presence making it all the more real. This was what the universe had been trying to tell me. This was our doom.

I could feel my breathe get caught in my throat. My hands were glowing, not because I made them, but because my anxiety was at an all time high.

"Crap," Bruce said. "That's him."

No shit.

Steve looked at me one more time, I looked at him. It was like we were saying those things all over again. I knew, he knew.

"Eyes up. Stay sharp," Steve instructed, flexing his arm to make the shield go pointy at the end. I moved forward too, right behind him.

Thanos walked towards us calmly, making this even more frightening.

I watched in disbelief as he made Banner phase through him, sending him into the mountain, un-phasing him as he trapped them within.

Next, he sent Steve flying with a blast of purple. I went towards him, somehow managing to teleport before he could use an attack against me. I went behind him, kicking the back of his leg. It was as if it had no effect. Like I was a David and he was Goliath, and I didn't have my slingshot.

He turned and sent me flying in the opposite direction. My breathe felt like it was sucked out of me as I was sent into a tree. I lay there trying to recover, I knew I had to get up. If there was anything I could do, had to do, it was to get up.

I gasped as I saw what he was doing to the rest of them. Our entire team made useless.

Steve went towards him again. I had to get up. I watched as Steve slid down, avoiding his hands. I teleported beside him. I had to help. I used my energy blast to shoot at Thanos, hitting his side as I did. It seemed to have gotten his attention. I teleported right out of his grasp, but he used one of the stones, stopping my ability to teleport. I was frozen mid air and he plucked me out of the sky. Holding me by my throat.

I beat down on his arm, using whatever strength I had, it was like nothing. I looked out of the corner of my eyes as I saw Steve using all his strength to hold back Thanos' hand. He flung me to the side, his power sending me flying into the rocks.

I barely could lift myself up, the wind being knocked out of me. But, what I saw next crushed me. His fist went down on Steve, sending him into the dirt. My heart stopped, Steve wasn't moving.

"No!" I yelled, I ran over to him, scrambling on the ground. He lay there, still not moving. My heart pounded, I could hear it ringing in my ears.

"Steve!" I yelled, shaking his body, but there was no response. The tears started to fall then. There was no way I could stop them. My heart stopped. It was like I could feel every piece breaking. The one person who I knew would always love me, in spite of everything, was gone.

"Thanos!" I yelled, getting to my feet. He stopped in his tracks. I wiped the tears from my face, my fist balled as I did so.

He turned, and smiled at me.

"A fighter, I like that."

"You're not going to like this," I said, I sent the biggest energy blast I could at him. He went reeling into one of the trees, cracking it into two.

When he got up, there was an even bigger smile on his face. Like he was playing with me. This only infuriated me more.

"You're tough. Your powers would serve me nicely, if you survive this."

"I would never serve you," I spat.

"That's too bad," he replied. This time I was ready for him to stop my teleporting. I rolled behind him, going between his two legs. I sent an energy blast into his back. This knocked him forward, but I knew it wasn't long before he was done playing this game. At the very least I had tried. I had bought Wanda and Vision more time to destroy the stone.

As I went to blast him again he used his gloved hand to cover my hands. I yelped as he engulfed it, stopping my powers. I went to use the metal arm, to hit him or to blast him. But he was a step ahead of me and ripped it off. I let out a scream.

"Too bad. I could have made you stronger."

Then, he gripped my neck, choking me. I could feel the life draining out of me. I looked one last time at Steve, remembering the words he had said to me.I smiled at that. I watched as Thanos looked between Steve and I, as if making the connection.

"Join your husband."

Those were the last words I heard. My entire world went black.