Chapter Nine: A Vision

I looked behind Natasha and saw they were done scanning Vision. 

"I think they've finished," I told her. 

I wanted to get out of that conversation. I didn't want to linger on what happened any longer. The guilt of waiting so long was eating at me enough as it was.

"The structure is polymorphic," Shurri said. 

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially," Bruce informed her. 

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?" Shurri asked him.

I turned and looked at him.

"Why didn't you doctor?" I asked playfully. Bruce rolled his eyes at me.

"Because... We didn't think of that." 

"I'm sure you did your best," Shurri replied, a small smirk on her face. 

"Can you do it?" Wanda asked, the serious tone of the moment returning.

"Yes," Shurri started. "but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures." 

"It will take time brother," she said, looking at T'Challa now. 

"How long?" Steve asked her. 

"As long as you can give me." 

Then, an alarm started beeping. I could feel the hairs on my neck stand up. I turned and looked at Steve, panic rising to the surface. Even though I knew he was furious with me, he was still the rock that grounded me. He gave me a reassuring nod. I felt myself relax slightly. 

"Something's entered the atmosphere," Okoeye said.

We all turned and looked out the window. There were ships falling to the ground like a rainfall of comets. We had to get moving, now. 

"It's too late," Vision said, trying to rise. "We need to destroy the stone now." 

"Vision, get your ass back on that table," I commanded. 

Wanda gave me an appreciative look. 

"We will hold them off," T'Challa said. 

"Wanda, as soon as that stone's out of his head...Blow it to hell," Steve told her, leaving no room for questions. 

"I will." 

"Evacuate the city. Engage all defenses. And get this man a shield," T'Challa commanded. 

Steve nodded. 

I looked over at him, not sure what to do. I wasn't sure if I should approach him, or give him space. But, he came to me. His arms wrapped themselves around me for a moment, he felt tense. Something that was never the case when he hugged me. 

I instantly wrapped my arms around him, not saying anything. I didn't want to push my luck. We were interrupted with T'Challa walking back into the room, he had Steve's new shield. It was different than his last. These attached to his arms, and when he flexed his arm a pointy end would pop out. 

"Thanks, for everything," Steve said to him. 

"We also have something for Morgan," T'Challa said. 

T'Challa left and then re-entered the room carrying a long case. I knew it had to be a new metal arm. 

"You didn't have to," I said.

"Of course we did, you've completed destroyed that one," he joked. 

"I have not," I protested. But, I looked down and saw scratches and small dents scattered all over the metal arm. "Maybe I have." 

T'Challa set the case down and opened it, and the arm shined in the light. I ran my hand lightly down it, it was a light grey metal. 

"Shuri wanted me to tell you that this arm is different than your last because this one, when connected to your arm, links with you in a new way. It can now release your energy blast, just like your real arm." 

"Really?" I asked excitedly. I couldn't believe it. 

"Now you two should hurry," T'Challa said, looking apprehensively out the window before exiting the room. 

Steve grabbed the arm for me, motioning for me to sit on the table. I jumped on the counter, sitting myself down. 

He took his time taking off my old arm. I flinched a little as the arm came off. The silence between us was still uncomfortable, nothing was solved. There was still tension as he grabbed the new arm and put it in its place, locking it on. 

"Thanks," I said quietly, lingering for a moment. We made eye contact for a moment, Steve opened his mouth like he was going to say something. I grabbed his hand, reaching out to him now. But, before he could we heard our names being yelled. 

I jumped off the table quickly, both us jumping into action. Our hands unlinked themselves and we were running outside. They loaded us onto one of their hovercrafts. We were rushed out onto the battlefield quickly. 

I looked overhead and saw Bruce flying clumsily in the Hulkbuster suit. I couldn't help but laugh to myself for a moment. It was ironic he was now in the suit that once kicked his ass. 

The hovercrafts let out and we rushed to our spots. The Wakanda tribes were chanting their tribal song. I felt the unity between them, it was inspiring. 

I looked ahead and saw two of Thanos' children at the edge of the barrier. I nudged Steve and nodded towards them. 

"Can you read their minds?" he asked.

"I've already tried. They must have prepared for this. They have some sort of blocker. I'm sure Thanos has encountered powers like mine before. Who knows what sort of trick he has up his sleeve for that," I said. Still reaching out, trying to get inside one of their minds. One of them had to be a weak link. 

"We better get down there," I said, gesturing at Steve, Natasha, and T'Challa. 

I grabbed Steve and Natasha's hands, and T'Challa grabbed onto Natasha's free hand. I teleported the four of us to the edge of the barrier. 

I watched as they narrowed their eyes at out presence. 

It was time to see how negotiations would go. 

~A/N I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I can't believe there are only basically 2 months until Avengers: Endgame premieres! I will be doing a book for that as well! 

QOTC: How would you all like a half Steve half Morgan POV chapter next? 

Please vote or comment what you thought to let me know you enjoyed it. I love seeing everyone's feedback and reactions. It absolutely makes my day and pushes me to continue writing.~