eleven

Phil
9:32am

I didn't check my phone first thing as I usually do. Instead, I rolled out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom for a shower, in the hope that the hot water would rid my body of leaden sleep. I had been tossing and turning all night, thinking about Amelia's reaction to me. I kept wondering how much Dan had told her about us, and at the back of my mind was the spark of hope that Dan would message me, asking to meet for what would probably be the last time before he flew back to America to get married.

I had hoped that Amelia wouldn't have a problem with me since, after all, it was a long time ago. Albeit, again that depended on how much Dan had told her.

Padding into my kitchen, my hair still a little damp, I made my breakfast and sat down at the counter. Only then did I check my phone, and the message from Dan beginning with 'We need to talk...' made my heart erupt in my mouth. With unsteady hands, I unlocked my phone and began to read the message. It was much longer than I had thought;

We need to talk. I can't do this anymore, it's too much for me. I'm afraid I can't see you again. You have made me doubt everything in the few years of my life within two days of being together. I have to do what is right to save my marriage. It's not fair that you're making me choose between our past and our present.

All the best for the future, please don't reply,
Dan.

***
a/n
ahh sorry I know this is a short one! (It's for a good reason I promise)