twenty-six

Phil
4:02pm

We walked out of the cafe where it had all started, side by side, Dan's hand sitting protectively on my waist. I smiled to myself. I couldn't recall a time in my life where I had been happier, except for the day I met Daniel Howell seven years ago.

I loved life, but I loved Dan more.

"We're taking your car, but I'm driving," Dan smirked.
"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I said, edging towards the passenger seat.
"Excuse me, you're in the back seat," he giggled. For a second I thought he was joking, but he was serious.
"What?"
"Just trust me."
"Fine," I sighed reluctantly, climbing into the backseat.
"Dan I look stupid," I groaned.
"I promise it's for a good reason."

I acquiesced, fastening my seatbelt. I let him take complete control as the roof to my rusty open-top came down and he started the engine.
As we drove further and further away from the cafe on the outskirts, I noticed we were driving past my dad's house by the fields. In the distance a long, open road lay ahead with masses of trees planted on either side of the tarmac. Dan turned in the driver's seat to face me, sheer excitement plastered across his entire face.

"You ready?" He prompted.

Ready for what?

Suddenly, Dan sped up as we reached the opening to the outstretched road with barely any other cars in sight.
I grinned as the wind began to gather speed, gently caressing my hair and cheeks and taking up individual strands of hair with it. It wouldn't be long before I was completely immersed in the fresh pine breeze. The car picked up a little more momentum, until we were driving at motorway speed.

I undid my seatbelt and shuffled to the other side of the backseat so that I was behind Dan. I moved forwards on the beige leather and wrapped my arms gently around his shoulders, smiling into his neck. He lifted one hand from the steering wheel to place it softly on my arm.
I entangled myself with every second, every feeling. I even breathed in Dan's scent along with the pine trees.

"Go on!" He yelled over the whipping of the air.
I shuffled to the middle and stretched out my arms, propping myself up a little, until I was completely exposed to the force of the wind.
I saw Dan glance at me in the wing mirror, and once he saw that I was half-sitting in the backseat with my arms out to the side, my neck craning backwards to lap up the feel of the cool breeze, he laughed excitedly.

This is what I wanted all along. For a moment, I forgot what I was doing, as I was so involved in Dan's content expression and the extremely wide smile etched across his face. I couldn't believe he was doing this... for me. I was in awe. Not only did he look more beautiful than ever under the unnatural glow the clouded sky was casting, I was also completely taken aback by his impulsive actions. I think I was experiencing the new Dan.

My Dan.

Deciding to make the most of the trancelike state he had me under, I leaned back even further, rolling up the sleeves to my jumper to gain maximum exposure to the cool breeze and euphoria.

I was alive.
We were alive.
As for Dan, he was finally free. He was finally unchained.

***
a/n
& it's over😭
thankyou so much for all of your supportive comments they mean the world to me x