03

I hurry down the block, walking as fast as I could. The house was simple on the outside, nothing too lavish or exciting, much like the rest of this town.

I head toward the front door, not sure if the doorbell worked or if it was better to simply knock. Deciding knocking is better, I raised my hand in a fist towards the door.

Before I could, the door opened, a red headed woman looked surprised to see me, as was I of seeing her.

"Hello," She offered a smile, the smile seemed genuine but also filled with surprise.

"Hi, I'm Lia. Welcome to the neighborhood, my mother baked some brownies as a welcome gift to your family." I lifted the plate so she could see it.

Her eyes filled with excitement, "Oh, thank you very much, I'm sure Maxine will love them. I'm Susan, please tell your mom we are very grateful, you really shouldn't of."

"Will do, and it's not a bother. We live a couple houses down, feel free to come down whenever." I smile saying everything mom would've wanted me to.

"Thank you." She smiled taking the brownie plate. A couple seconds later a crash is heard throughout the house, behind Susan. I hear bickering going on and not wanting to be nosy I attempt to excuse myself.

"It was really nice meeting you-"

"Oh, would you like to stay over dinner? The more the merrier." She said smiling but I could tell she was hoping I'd say 'no'.

"Oh no thank you, we had dinner about an hour ago." I reply. Liar.

"That's alright maybe next time...Maxine! Please come down and bring Billy with you!" Susan calls her children I'm assuming.

Almost immediately a young girl comes from behind Susan, possibly 13 or 14. Her hair is the same color as Susan and freckles are scattered all throughout her face.

"Maxine this is Lia, a neighbor." Susan tells her.

"Um, nice to meet you, I'm max." The girl shyly says, looking annoyed and clearly wanting to go back from where she came from.

"Yeah, nice to meet you too." I politely smile but I'm praying the other kid won't come down so I can leave.

"Can I go to my room now?" She asks Susan to which Susan replies with a small nod.

Just as the girl leaves, footsteps are heard behind her. "Yes, Susan?" The scruffy voice made me realize this wasn't a 'kid' but almost a man.

His blonde hair was in a mullet and his eyes like ice, anyone could see that he took care of his killer body and look, he wore denim jeans and a denim jacket, he seemed irritated and didn't see me standing outside for a couple seconds. Once he did he looked me up and down, flashing me a smile.

"I got it from here Susan, I'll introduce myself, you can go back inside, it's getting chilly." His voice almost boomed.

No one needed to tell Susan twice, she politely smiled and waved a 'bye' towards me and went back inside.

I looked him up and down now that the view was clear, he looked good, hot, better than any guy in Hawkins, he definitely wasn't made here.

"And who maybe you be?" He asked flashing his charming smile.

"I could ask the same question." I arch my brow.

I knew guys like him, they thought they were the shit and practically had all girls to their feet, not me though. I wasn't going to be fooled by him, or any guy like that.

He chuckles, "Alright, then we're just neighbors."

Stubborn was one way to describe me, if he wasn't willing to share, neither was I.

"Mhm, just neighbors." I smile and lick my lips, bad habit. "I should get going, I hope you enjoy the brownies." I say before walking off.

Almost immediately, I hear the door slam behind me. I roll my eyes, he'd be just another guy who'd be falling at my feet in no time.

I head home, just to use the telephones. I dialed one of the few phone numbers I knew by heart. It rung for a couple seconds until finally someone answered.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Hey Steve, do you know any parties going on right now, I'm in the mood to get drunk off my ass, y'know forget about stuff." I answered while twisting the cord on my manicured nails.

"Lia, nobody plans parties on a Tuesday, sorry." He replied.

"Can I come over?" I asked, desperate for liquor, I got all dressed up for nothing.

"Y'know you're always welcomed." He said and I could just imagine him flashing his white pearls.

"Perfect see you in a bit." I reply and hang up, walking out of the house.

As I'm walking in little pain, a blue Camaro drives past me, speeding so fast I couldn't see the driver. I shrug it off and continue on my way.

Upon reaching my destination I ring the doorbell and Steve opens quickly. Without giving him time to talk, I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss his soft lips, it wasn't a sweet and tender kiss but a rough kiss that screamed 'I want to forget today'.

-
-

Closing the door behind me, I hurry home. If Paul caught me I'd get 2 beatings in 1 day, that's the last thing I wanted.

I quickly removed my heels and make my way to the back yard bare foot. Thankfully my window was decently big and was easy to get to. I open it and climbed inside, closing it after.

There was no noise so I assumed he'd gone to sleep. I was tired, tired of the same shit, every fucking day was the same thing.

All I wanted was a miracle to come to the boring town of Hawkins, Indiana.

~
~