11

"Nancy, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it yesterday." I look up to her blue eyes and see disappointment.

She stays quite and bites her bottom lip, looking as if she was having a mental war. Something was wrong it wasn't just about yesterday.

I don't like pushing people to talk, but I genuinely wanted to know what was wrong, "What's wrong?" I plead and she looks hesitant.

Nancy looks everywhere but at me, "I saw you and Steve." She finally says and looks at me with disappointment and anger.

My mouths drops open and I can hear my heart shatter, "Nancy, I can expl-" I stutter as I'm cut off.

She looks angry and I can't blame her, "No. Save it. It's not that I care about him anymore, but I at least hoped you would've told me rather than finding out by rumors and then seeing it myself."

"Nancy, what me and Steve hav-" Once again, I try explaining myself but there's no use, the damage has already been done.

"What you and Steve have isn't my business, I know. But how would you feel if you saw me making out with your ex boyfriend?" She looks hurt and I can't blame her.

"Nanc-"

"No, I'm done. This has always been a one sided friendship. I tell you things but you don't tell me shit about you. I'm always the one who makes plans, only for you to cancel or not show up at all. Go give your shitty excuses to someone who cares. I never believed what was said about you, maybe I should've, maybe you are the girl that sleeps with any guy she can."

With that, she slams her locker and walks away. I'm left speechless, she wasn't wrong, I was a horrible friend.

-
-

"Are you even listening to me?" I slam my locker and look at him while his eyes lower down to a girl's ass.

His eyes follow her swaying hips until she turns at a corner and is no longer visible. He turns to look at me, his eyes trailing down to my chest, "I am but I don't see why it matters."

I roll my eyes and look him straight in the eyes, "She's my best friend and she just friend dumped me, this wasn't ever supposed to come out." My arms cross over my chest and he gets the message and looks up at me.

Steve pulls me closer by my waist, "I don't see why it's so bad. Lia maybe you and I should stop hiding around. Would that be so bad?" He trails off and looks at me with his pretty brown eyes.

I don't know how to reply, I stand there in silence. How could I ever do that to Nancy? I push his arms off and close my eyes from a second, rubbing my temple, "Steve..." I trail off not knowing where I'm getting at.

"Come on, you can't tell me you don't feel anything." He looks upset and I can't have two people upset at me in one day so I try to reason with him.

"What you and I have-or had, was based on sleeping with each other. We were distractions for one another, Steve that was rule number 1." I avoid his gaze as I see girls beginning to swarm near the beginning of the hall.

That could only mean one thing, the new king of Hawkins was going somewhere and everyone wanted to know where or with who.

Being too focused on the thought of Billy Hargrove, I forgot Steve was talking, I quickly turn to see him facing me and noticing I was paying little to no attention to him.

He scoffs, "Fuck this. You're right, what you and I had was for distraction," He pauses for a second or two and looks me up and down, "I mean, why would I ever want you, forget what I said, you're not worth it. So much for a pretty face, you're personality is shit." He looks me up and down as he brushes past me.

He walks away leaving me standing alone for the second time today. The day was almost over and I couldn't wait to leave. I sigh in frustration at myself, the whispers of girls being heard throughout the halls taking over any thought.

Making sure I have everything I need, I ignore the crowds and make my way to the gymnasium, my head held high because no one needed to know today wasn't going my way.

~
~