25

Days later
The cigarette in my lips is slowly getting smaller and smaller, reminding me I'm out of cigarettes and this was the last one in the pack. I knew I should stop running to cigarettes for everything.

I could stop if I really wanted to, I just don't want to.

I stare out into the sky, it was a bit windy but nothing I couldn't handle. My legs crossed on top of my car, my hair tangled behind me as the wind blew on my face.

There were no forced smiles on my lips and no mascara on my lashes, here, I didn't have to pretend for anyone. I didn't have to look good or even decent, I could be a complete mess and not have a care in the world.

This was my last noon out, at least until Paul decided to leave for another business trip, in which case would be in a few months. He wasn't home much, which was great but if he found out I was out of the house without his permission, let's just say it never ended well.

The birds chirp and so do the crickets, all doing their own thing. My eyes are lazily open, I was tired. Sleep wasn't something that came to me at all anymore, I usually ran on a couple hours of sleep.

I smile to myself as the sun begins to set, reminding me sundown was close and a new day would being in just a couple hours. The shirt I wore covered me enough to keep me warm but shivers still managed to creep up on me.

Solitude was something I treasured and loved to have.

I look into the distance, silence in the air making me feel comfortable. Trees outline everything around me for miles and miles to come. It was a beautiful view to me, others would say it was boring to look at bare trees and sunset but I loved it.

This was my safe place, it was where my mind didn't run and where no one knew to find me. It was something I could almost call mine. I could run away without leaving Hawkins when I came here. No one else visited and when people would, they were a few who also ran from their lives to enjoy nature.

The sun could blind anyone but I enjoyed watching it go to sleep, resting for tomorrow. I almost hoped it would start raining just to set my mood even more. The wind increases and I can feel the temperature slowly drop as I wrap my arms around my self and my nose begins sniffling.

I miss somebody's warmth and my mind drifts to Billy, wondering what he's doing at this moment. I hadn't known Billy for long, a couple months but I felt as if he knew me so well. I shared my biggest secret with him in hopes to get it off my chest but I still felt as if I were drowning in secrets.

A smile is painted on my lips as memories start swarming in my mind. The janitors closet, our midnight adventures, the park, and more importantly, his kisses, the way he causes goosebumps to rise in my skin with something as simple as a hand hold.

I had a soft spot for Max, our friendship had started developing even more after some time. I wasn't over the Hargrove's as much anymore but that didn't mean our bond shrunk. I wanted Billy and Max to get along better, for Max's sake as well as Billy's.

I knew that under all those asshole layers there was a sweet Billy who cared about Max and about her well being. Billy could be an asshole but with me, he was amazing, the small glimpses of that Billy were more persistent around me, and I loved that.

I've had my fair share of boyfriends but none of them made me feel what Billy makes me feel. Although we weren't exactly together, not officially, he made me feel exclusive, like I was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he was willing to take it.

The wind starts picking up its pace even more, my arms wrapping themselves tighter around my body. The feel of the coldness causing me to crave hot chocolate in front of a bon fire. A smile paints on my lips as I let out a quite giggle to myself as I daydream about Billy.

Then, an idea pops into my mind. Why daydream when I can make it happen? Giving the view one last glance, I get off the hood of the car, making the cardigan wrap tighter around me. I make my way to the doors and get inside, letting out an exhale as I start up my beautiful baby.

There wasn't much of a road to follow so I just went my own way, making it on to the main road within minutes.  There weren't many cars mostly likely because the weather had dropped from yesterday and most preferred to stay home.

I turn my music louder, the soft jazz plays on the staticky radio as I hum to the rhythm. A smile is on my lips as I make my way to the Hargrove's.

-
-

I exhale happily before bringing my hand up to ring the doorbell. Before I can, my brows drop and a frown makes it way to my lips as I hear chaos going on inside.

I wasn't nosy but I was curious, so I stay quiet wondering if Max and Billy were bickering or it was something else. It's quiet outside but you could only hear the chaos if you were as close as I was, I was thankful for that.

My brows furrow as I hear things shatter and I immediately know something is wrong, my gut telling me that whatever is happening won't end well.

My jaw hardens before balancing out what to do, I could either leave and stop being nosy or I could see what was wrong and try to fix it. I go for the latter, cursing at myself for being so nosy.

In stead of trying to enter through the front door, I head to where I knew Max's window was in the back of the house.

Peeking inside, I see nothing. The sound of something being slammed is heard, causing me to flinch. With my bottom lip between my teeth, I walk towards where I was too afraid to go see, Billy's window.

My heart shatters at what I see. I want to cry and break in their and rip Neil away from him, but I can't seem to move, my body wouldn't budge.

Billy's back is pressed up against a wall as Neil angrily yells at him, keeping him pinned down on the wall. My eyes water and I can't seem to be able to properly breath. My jaw clenches when Neil harshly slaps Billy, causing Billy's jaw to clench in reply.

I stand there shocked and confused as I watch Neil finish with Billy, making sure to leave Billy's cheek red and a bruise to form later. I watch as Neil storms out of the room. I want to run inside as I see a tear depart from his eye, looking angry at himself.

How long has this been going on?

Billy was trying to keep me safe from Paul, I thought it was simply because he cared, but it was much more than that, it was because he could relate.

How the hell had I missed this?

~
~

I'll leave you guys with this cliffhanger for a few days ;

Meanwhile, comment and vote!