My Neighbour

Katie leads me back to the hallway. A little farther down almost center of the block, she stops. "Your neighbour is Kathy, a friend of my grandparents and a long time resident. She's a legendary rescuer and a retired senior staff member. She can help with some of your questions."

Two wide doors are side by side. A nameplate reads 'Shortcake', centered under that, 'Kathy'. A door five feet to our right has a nameplate reading 'Temporary Resident', then on a new line, 'Tammy Richards'. Katie knocks on Shortcake's door.

Kathy's door opens, "Hi, Katie. Come in. Have a seat." She nods at me.

"Kathy, this is Tammy Richards from that South Dakota tornado. She's your new neighbour. Ten minutes ago she woke up in our ECCU."

She shakes my hand while Katie and Kathy exchange questions about friends as she leads us to a small dining table.

Kathy appears five feet tall and maybe one hundred pounds. She is attractive with eye catching features. Her grey streaked hair offsets a square jaw line. Her sharp nose accents a thin wide mouth. She has warm compassionate eyes. She wears no detectable makeup. I estimate she is in her early to mid forties.

Smiling, she takes a quick head to foot scan of me. "Katie wants a ginger ale. I suspect you'd love a coffee about now." She has a twinkle in her eye. I nod, but it is at her back as she moves toward another room.

On a small table sits a tall glass of what appears to be fizzing ginger ale and a mug of steaming black coffee. Kathy sits, takes a sip from her teacup then sets it down. She smiles and turns to me, "You were an athlete in a team effort, but were badly injured. You favour your left side when you are concentrating on something specific. The muscle memory will fade. You appear very intelligent and someone who's very good at what she decides to do. You've a beautiful, loving old soul and a unique aura. You must be extremely confused."

Katie looks at me. "Sorry, Tammy, I like to play this game with Kathy. I don't understand how she does it. Is she close about your history?"

They wait for me to answer. Staring at Kathy, I reply, "Katie, she summed up my life quite well. I am not sure about my soul, aura or being good at what I do. I am more baffled than intelligent at the moment."

Kathy's expression changes, "I hope I didn't confuse you. That isn't my intention. Gerry did this. He has great taste in people. My guess is he assigned you to be my new neighbour."

I feel a spark with this woman. This is a strange reaction for me. I do not make friends quickly. A few turned on me or disappeared into their lives. I held a couple of close friends in my arms as they died. I saw too many acquaintances killed. I must be dreaming.

Kathy comments, "We should start by getting you comfortable." She stands and holds out her hand to me. "We'll do this one step at a time. First, you need something to wear. Everything here is free. Computers design and supply most items, including clothing."

We walk down the conventional looking hallway of her apartment while she mumbles, "Computer, clothing request for Tammy Richards, comfortable blue jeans with boot flair, sky blue calf height athletic socks and matching court running shoes. A navy blue long sleeve dress shirt, front center buttons with cuffs and collar. Deliver." We enter a door at an end of her hallway.

It is a large bathroom. She opens a narrow full height cabinet. "You can put your clothes on any shelf. Call me if you need anything." She leaves and her bathroom door swings shut.

Hanging to my left is a navy blue dress shirt and blue jeans. On a right side hip height shelf are underwear and blue socks. A shelf below them reveals blue running shoes.

I take a quick look around. This floor looks like hardwood, but is warm and cushioned. The ceiling is sky blue. On an opposite wall is a pedestal sink, with a large mirror above. Little walls about two feet wide enclose a toilet with no tank but a cushioned back, beside it is a tall shower stall. On a far wall, a seven foot wide sheet of glass ends less than a foot off the floor. It hides a tiled wall four feet behind. At first glance, it looks like a combination bathtub and shower but stops far too near the floor to be a tub. From it to Kathy's clothes cabinet, a mirror runs floor to ceiling. I do not see a light fixture yet it is a bright room.