Company For A Meeting

Tiana asks, "Clair, are you going to that big assessment tomorrow?"

Clair replies, "Yes, it's for one of my friends."

Katie looks at me, "I should attend. My uncle's involved. Tammy, can I leave you in Kathy's care for a few hours tomorrow?"

Kathy replies, "That won't be necessary. I need a favour from all of you. Tammy is going to the assessment. I'm senior adjudicator. Would you girls take care of Tammy at the assessment?"

Four stunned faces stare at Kathy. Clair is first to recover. "I'd consider it an honour to accompany my friend." Moments later, both other girls agree.

Orenda shakes her head from side to side while a huge smile blossoms on her face, "Do you see what I mean, girls? She's a bad one. She always breaks rules. I'd better go too. They can't do much about me. I'm retired. Most of our high brass will starve without my establishment." We arrange to meet at Kathy's before eight forty five tomorrow morning.

Tiana asks, "Tammy, may I ask a personal question? You speak in a strange way. I can't figure out what it is. It's not your mild accent. It's something else."

I smile, "I teach young children. I also taught English and spoke English to people halfway across the globe. I try to articulate my words and sound like a Radio or TV newscaster. I do not use contractions. It makes it easy for everyone to understand what I say. Some claim I sound like a textbook."

Tiana's hip starts beeping. She reaches down and pulls out what appears to be a cell phone. A look of surprise turns to dread. "I missed curfew."

Kathy reaches for it then holds it to her ear. "Hi. She's with me and had a better education tonight than she's had in months." After a moment, "I'll let her tell you her story in her own words when she gets home. That'll happen shortly."

She hands it back to Tiana. "If they give you a hard time, tell them to call me. Sorry ladies, I think our tea party is ending. Are you two ready?" She looks at Clair and me.

Orenda stands. "Thank you all. I haven't enjoyed myself this much in months. I'll escort you." Orenda leads, Clair follows holding her cake, with me beside her. The girls are right behind us and Kathy brings up the rear. As we start across Orenda's dining room, everyone stands and starts clapping. At the entrance, Orenda shakes our hands. "I'll see all of you tomorrow morning."

This hallway is empty. On our way to an elevator, we pass an open area. About fifty people look up at a huge screen. My group stops. They look to see what is happening. It appears to be a news report. A picture of Clair is on screen.

An announcer reports, 'This amazing event is not over yet. More records are set. So far, at this 'Train Horror' scenario they award a unit citation, a bronze medal, two silver medals, and a gold medal. All won by trainees." A picture of me appears behind him.

''A person who displays the true spirit of a rescuer receives an adjudicator's award. Their only restriction on this award is the recipient must be present. After a unanimous vote, a gold medal award goes to a mysterious stranger, schoolteacher Tammy Richards.

'Cadet's award a person who they feel is inspirational. They vote unanimously as well. It's a gold medal award for former United States Marine, Tammy Richards.

'She smashed records today. Mark this day, it will change our society. Trainees win multiple medals and a unit citation in a historic scenario. Add to that, no person ever won two gold medals on the same day in our history. There are a few final facts to shatter all previous records.

'Tammy Richards isn't involved in the scenario. She'd never seen rescuers in action. She's here for only seven hours and two minutes when she wins two gold medals. She's a double gold medal winning temporary resident!'

Kathy grabs my arm. "Move ladies." She reaches for Clair with her other hand. Girls jog to keep up with us as we turn into an elevator. Kathy says, "Clair Switson residence. Ladies, here's what's we're going to do. Tammy and I are side by side in front. Clair in the middle. Girls, you'll be side by side behind her. If anybody tries to touch or grab Clair, I want to hear screaming."