A Bluff

As we turn a corner to her dorm area, a bunch of teens and children are milling around farther down, looking towards Clair's dorm. I stop and whisper to Clair, "Were any of them at your party last night?"

She whispers back, "Most of them."

I motion for us to form up four abreast. I hold out my hand. One finger, two, three, and I point forward. In perfect step, shoulder to shoulder we march. I roar, "If any of you have anything that belongs to that dorm, you have three minutes to return it before we start to search this entire block."

One of our blue shirted security officers standing by Clair's old doorway caught on right away. She yells, "Security report." Two other blue shirts outside her dorm room snap straight and turn toward us. We stop in front of her and she bellows, "General, this dorm search is almost complete. We've more security squads reporting in three minutes. Please inspect this dorm."

Before we enter, there are no gawkers in the hallway. The blue shirted woman starts chuckling as we follow her in. "Major, you're very good. Thank you for the heads up. Captain Clair, please come this way, we've your belongings from your room. I'm sorry this happened to you, sir. I guess they don't want anyone to do well."

Kathy is still very upset. She is pacing back and forth. I ask, "How is your hand? Did you break anything other than the bastard's face?"

She grins at me. A security officer comes in from Clair's dorm hallway. One of our security officers asks, "Hey Jim, did you catch that radio chatter a few minutes ago?"

Jim replies, "About what?"

"Those silly officers are knocking the shit out of each other."

Jim grins, "That's not what I got from that chatter. I hear it's another instance of 'Don't mess with Shortcake'."

Kathy spins around to look at them. Both stand ramrod straight with huge smiles. Jim grins, "I like no nonsense generals."

Kathy could not help it. She smiles, "Get out of here. Go collect some junk out in that corridor. There should be some treasures out there by now."

Clair and Sharon come from her dorm hallway, each carrying a box. A voice from outside yells, "Captain, come see this. The Major's brilliant."

On seats in a common area are little collections of goods. Clair looks at miscellaneous items then spots a tablet. She runs to it, taps it twice, and squeals, "My pictures!" After a few minutes, Clair claims she has all her belongings.

Our female security captain nods, "Fantastic. Please allow my security detail to escort the officers' home." Her security crew pick up boxes. Clair and Sharon lead followed by five security officers carrying boxes, then Kathy and me.

In Clair's new suite, a security officer comments to Clair, "Captain, please go check the closets in your bedroom." Clair and Sharon move toward her bedroom.

"It's all here, even my shoes!" A moment later, Clair stands before the security detail. "Ladies and gentlemen, I thought my world destroyed. Please pass my thanks to all involved today. You've restored my faith in people."

Jean the female security captain replies, "I'm a former rescuer. I experienced that train horror twice. What you did yesterday is deserving of a gold medal. All those citations your training rescuers won are due to you. You won that citation for every one of them. Captain, you're one impressive rescuer. I respect that above all else.

"General, it's an honour to be in your company again. If you need assistance with your investigations, please let us know. Major Sharon, it was a pleasure and honour to see your assessment. I'm astounded at how well you performed during that rescue. You made me proud of our entire organization. Major Tammy, you amaze me. You have the heart of a rescuer. Good afternoon, ladies."

I look at a much happier Clair. "Ladies, you have a suite to finish before six forty five. Kathy and I will be next door. Just walk in if you need anything."

As we turn a corner to my suite I comment, "It seems we have some other rats to look for as well. This has to be a part of tomorrow's plan."

Kathy nods. "When we went back to her dorm and you pulled that rank shit on those kids, it made me feel a little better. I was still ready to put my fist through a wall. Then you asked that hand question and I settled a little more. You did that on purpose to get security involved. When your little rank stunt turned out to be real? Who are you Tammy? Whoever you are, please stay close." A moment later she nods, "I'll be right back. I need to check my mail."

I pour coffee and settle on our balcony. Kathy joins me with a teacup in her hand. I ask, "Orphans are supposed to be under supervision, at least where I come from. Other than security and us, I saw no adults. Why are they not in school? I find it surprising that a society like this would abandon them in drab barracks."

Kathy replies, "There's a large group of people here who aren't rescuers. Orphans are under a large organization's venue, our Orphan's Directory. That foundation has total control of all orphan matters like education, housing and health care. "

A few moments later I ask, "I am a little confused. I have blue stripes. That security captain has red bars, but this morning he had large gold bars. He is a colonel this morning but this afternoon a captain?"

Kathy smiles, "Colours and rank indicate which service they are currently in. Legal and security are red, civilian are blue and rescuers are gold. In our legal system, he is a captain. This morning he represented rescuers. He is a retired rescuer colonel. When Sharon is in service with rescuers, she's a Captain with gold rank bars. Currently she is a detached civilian Major, blue rank."