Request For Help

A moment later, Gerry turns to me. "Tammy, I'm going to ask a huge favour of you. I want to put you to work. You can still go home, but while you're here, I'm asking you to help us. I want to attach you to Kathy. Kathy is going to head an investigation to see what happened to the rescuers and to correct any issues if possible. I'm asking you to be her sounding board. Both of you'll receive identical information, and between you, you'll decide how to proceed. Are you interested?"

I am stunned. "Hold on a second. I know nothing about your organization. In a week, I may be gone. I cannot assume responsibility for affecting any kind of decisions as to how they operate. I am not supposed to be here."

Kathy replies, "You understand far more than you think. You're perfect, actually. Outside of this room, no one knows you. You've a rescuer's heart that they'll know about you. You've set a record matched only today by Sharon. That commands respect. I need you for this.

"We've a natural understanding of each other. I feel as if I've known you forever. Your wisdom and the way you handled me when I was upset, is amazing. For instance, how you explained your view to me systematically so it became clear to me. Very few people can do that, but you did. Even if it's for less than two weeks, it'll be a huge help. Tammy, please accept."

Orenda nods at me. Clair looks like she is about to get on her hands and knees to beg me. I look to Sharon, "I heard from one half of the reason I am here. Sharon, you are another half of the reason I am here. As a rescuer, what are your views on this request?"

She is surprised. Her three gold medals glint light while she sits quietly contemplating. After a few seconds she replies, "Tammy, I'm still not convinced I'm not talking to a ghost. I thought you were dead. Every time you told those children to follow the angels, I thought they'd be your last words.

"Since then you've changed my world. That crazy woman I watched on a news channel yesterday, who tried to rescue rescuers, brought tears to my eyes. Clair, a friend of mine who I've never seen with adults, drags me to meet her new friend. When I introduce my parents to you, she's holding your hand. Indirectly because of you, I have three gold medals. You're here for a reason. I'll call it destiny and leave it at that."

Her eloquent response surprises me. I reply, "Sharon, I need to get to know you. You are something special. I cannot argue with destiny. I am in your service, sir. What do you have in mind?"

Gerry nods, "You're special Sharon, and so are you, Tammy. Retired Rescuers, you're back in service at your previous ranks. Kathy, you're head of an independent organization whose goal is to check on why this happened and any influences that might cause further issues with the rescuers.

"Tammy, I can't have a general conferring with a civilian of no rank. You're an acting civilian major. Clair, majors don't have rescuers as assistants. You're an administrative sergeant. Abe, start high in Operations and drill downward. Orenda, start with low level sections of Operations and move upward. Sheri, start at Rescue Command. We need to know if there are any others like that Rana family. Sharon, you're not off the hook. In order for you to pass those exams without support, you must be a gifted researcher. Do I assume correctly?"

She replies, "I do okay, sir."

Gerry smiles, "I know your parents didn't help you. When they were rescuers, procedures were completely different from today's rescuers. How much time did you spend researching how to do rescue work? Rana and company didn't teach you what I saw Rescuer Sharon do."

"To be honest, most of my free time, perhaps it's something we need to address."

Gerry asks, "Sharon. In your experience what do we need to address?"

"All rescuer field training comes from command down. If command is bad, then a squad is bad. If the squad is bad, then a rescuer is stuck. I spent a huge amount of my time finding out how things get done correctly. I never received manuals. Manuals I did find are almost useless. Not to mention all those rescues I've missed in a year. How did they exclude me from rescue calls?"

Gerry comments, "When did that change? Where are our field manuals? There must be others working with them. Thank you Sharon you're an acting captain attached to Kathy. Kathy, is that alright?"

Kathy replies, "No, she's a major. Major Sharon, I need a couple of things from you. What happened to our command manuals? Why did you have to go hunting for them? I'll assign you research staff to match course reports to field reports. Yours weren't included in your field reports. I need to know about omissions like yours and any possible fake reports. Can you handle working with the likes of Jazz in administration? Are you up to that, Major?"

"Yes, sir, when do we start?"

Kathy turns to Gerry, "Gerry, Clair needs to be a captain. For what she'll be doing with Tammy, they'll not respond to a sergeant."

"Good point. Kathy, you pick the crew you want, assign rank as you see fit, and I'll rubber stamp them. That stands for colonels and up. I'm going to run an investigation into mismatches in personnel records. My next project is to find out why certain rescuers aren't informed when to report for a rescue or training. That's in our computer records somewhere. I'll report my findings to you and Tammy."

Kathy nods, "We'll meet tomorrow morning at nine sharp. Gerry, you're excused. Everyone else in this room can start thinking. We need staff choices and directions for investigations. Captain Clair and Major Sharon, I need names of outstanding rescuers and trainees. They're to start with recruits and work their way up to meet Colonel Sheri's investigation. Shall we say Tammy's place? Is that alright with you?"

I smile, "Wow, when you guys take off it is like a rocket, yes, my place at nine. Before this is out of hand, Captain Clair needs to move. Major Sharon should be out celebrating. I am not sure about Abe and Sheri, but Orenda, what about your restaurant?"

Gerry smiles, "I see what you mean, Kathy. She considers everyone involved."

Sharon pipes up, "I'd rather celebrate with those present than anyone else. Clair, I'd consider it an honour if I could help you set up your new suite."

Orenda joins in. "No, we'll meet as a unit in uniform. Wear those medals, young lady. We meet at seven for supper at my restaurant. We'll show off our ranks and have a hen party like last night. I enjoyed that. You're invited, Abe. I've a good staff and they'll take care of my place until this is over."

I ask, "Could Captain Clair's uniform be delivered to my suite? I want to accompany Clair and meet some of her room mates when she picks up her things."

Clair looks over and smiles.

Sharon asks, "May I join you?"

Clair replies, "I'd consider it an honour, Major."

Kathy orders, "Tammy's suite at six forty five for supper in full uniform. We should get out of Gerry's way. You're invited tonight Gerry. Abe will be lonely without you."

I ask, "Orenda, may I invite one other person? Commander Carol?"

Orenda smiles, "A real hero of the day. Yes, by all means."

I ask, "Sharon, how long will it take you to change and get to my place?"

"Twenty minutes."