Moving On

Clair and I check on a couple of smaller sections of Angels' locations and find all is well. We shake hands and thank them for their work. We stop at a little food kiosk. We order burgers and coffees. We find a table where we can relax. Some people stop or point, most do not notice us. Clair is finishing off a piece of apple pie when my phone rings.

"Good afternoon, Ann. How can we help you?"

"Tammy, we've a problem at a small counseling office about a block from you. A couple of creeps in a meeting area are scaring away some people seeking help. It's south of you, a block down with double center doors. It has a sign Single Parent Services. I sent a map."

"We are on the way. Thanks Ann."

"Clair, at that counseling office some guys are scaring away people. Would you go in alone ahead of me? I will be right behind you just outside that door."

Clair nods. Just before we get there, my phone rings. Kathy orders, "On speaker." Clair walks in. I prop open a door with my foot and peek in.

Two large teenage boys sit in the corner playing cards. One sneers, "Get out of here, this is private."

His card playing partner in a harsher voice warns, "Get out, no one's allowed here."

Clair stands her ground getting angry. The first one in a raised threatening voice yells, "I said get out. We are working here. Leave now!"

Clair screams, "Who in hell do you two assholes think you are? You're on Rescuer Angels' property. I'm Captain Clair, Executive Assistant to General Tammy. How dare you talk to people like that? You're not working at anything but playing cards. You're both as worthless as that bunch we arrested yesterday. What are your names?"

There is nothing but stunned silence.

She yells again. "Get on your feet, bastards. I want your names now!"

Captain Jean appears from a hallway, "Captain Clair, I see General Tammy has been a good influence on you. Rudy and Dale, what have you done now?"

Clair smiles, in a conversational voice replies, "Good afternoon Captain Jean. It's nice to see you again. We got reports that these punks are scaring patients away from this clinic. I'm investigating. I can see why some people would be afraid of them."

Jean has huge grin on her face, "They're supposed to be doing duty for some charges that were brought against them. They're assigned here to sweep floors and clean up."

"Captain, I'd like them off our Angels property. They're playing cards and doing their best to scare away anyone coming in this door."

Jean picks up her talkie. "Two blues for escort to hearing holding." She walks to a camera in a corner, pulls out a little device, and holds it near the camera.

One boy decides to bolt. Clair swings out her leg and he falls sliding on a polished floor. He stops inches from my feet. I stand over him, blocking his escape route. He looks up at me, recognizes me then scampers backward.

Clair growls, "Get back over there with your buddy before I lose my temper." He moves instantly.

Jean shakes her head back and forth with a huge grin on her face. "Well boys, you got yourself into a heap of trouble now. Judge MacLean's very busy with those other criminals. He isn't a happy man. Now he'll have to deal with you two after his trials.

"Charges are coming from Captain Clair. She's an executive assistant to the general who got those criminals. Captain Clair helped in devising plans that caught them. She was in charge of one of those attack groups yesterday. He's going to very angry with you. Take Rudy and Dale to Judge MacLean's holding area. This is a two hour video of them while on his work duty corrections plan."

Blue shirts escort the boys though a crowd of gawking people in a counseling office hallway. Jean turns to Clair, "Clair that was a nice move to stop his escape. I see it'll be a pleasure working with you. You have me on speed dial if you ever need anything. Have a great day, Captain."

From my spot blocking a door, I ask, "Who is in charge of this facility?"

A terrified forty year old woman replies, "I am."

"Were you aware that those two delinquents were intimidating your patients?"

"No, I had no idea. All my staff are in sessions, including me. We're having a very busy day."

"What do you need? A reception area and a receptionist, some seats for those waiting and more counselors?"

She nods. I pull out my phone. "Good afternoon Cheryl. We met this morning, its General Tammy. We need some resources to Single Parent Services."

I listen then reply, "Yes this location had a security flag. We, with help from security cleared that flag. It is a very busy office. Could we get a reception area, a receptionist, around twenty seats for those waiting, and...." I look at the staring woman. I hold up a single finger, then two, then three. She nods. "Three appropriate counselors here as soon as possible. Could you get someone to assess this location and decide if we need to expand here? Thank you, Cheryl."

I walk over to her and hold out my hand. "If you ever need help, just ask. Our Rescuer Angels are about helping. You help people, and we are there to help you. That way you can help more people. I am sorry. I did not catch your name." We shake hands with everyone, both counselors and clients. As we walk away, a handful of people rush in.