Courtroom

We enter what appears to be a large courtroom. People in dress uniforms pack one side. A huge gallery is full of spectators. Front row in the gallery are media people flashing pictures or video. At a table on an opposite side of the courtroom floor sits Elsie.

Our judge stops, "Tammy, are you a rescuer?"

I reply, "No, sir. I am a temporary resident."

"That removes any argument of rescuer interference. Tammy, were you at Elsie's place of employment, the Orphan Directory building this morning?"

Our angels' office staff followed us. We stand in a huge group with me in front, center of the room. "Yes, sir."

He points at Elsie and asks, "Did you with Captain Douglas, and an orphan, Captain Clair go to that woman's home?"

Elsie yells, "She burst in and threatened me, your honour!"

I frown at her, "Yes, sir. Elsie, what I said this morning still stands."

The judge smiles at me then turns to Elsie. "One more word and you're in contempt of court. Major Tammy, did Captain Douglas arrest her at her home?"

Elsie screams, "Lies!"

The judge roars, "Captain, gag her before I lose my temper and turn her over to the major for disposition." Elsie's face turns white. A security officer wraps a large piece of tape across her mouth. Our judge nods and turns to look at me.

I reply, "Yes sir."

"Thank you, Tammy. As I understand it, these monsters claim to be on duty at work but are at home. Meanwhile, our orphans have no support, even though in her office alone they claim about three thousand hours a week duty time. Rex, am I understanding this correctly?"

"Yes, your honour. Although she's claiming over forty eight hours a week, Elsie's only been recorded in her office area for seventeen minutes in nine months."

"Are you still collecting evidence, Rex?"

"Yes, sir, on Elsie alone, that's a lot of hours screening recordings."

"Rex, all those charged and held, do they also have collaborating video evidence?"

"Yes sir, security informed me Major Tammy recommended video documentation and collaboration at the start of these investigations."

A smiling judge turns to me, "I understand we also have multiple frauds being committed, some double booking each other. My ruling is a single charge of claiming to be on duty for a service but not doing that service, with supporting video evidence is enough to arrest and hold those charged until we investigate all crimes for that individual. This is impressive work. Major Tammy what are you planning? I know it's not catching only time cheaters."

"We do not have a complete plan. We do not have all the details yet. I would like to see this through and find out what they use in exchange for their free time. I hope it is not what I suspect it is. Gerry isolated computer codes and I would like to leave them running temporarily. He is identifying programmers and users."

His expression changes into anger. "I sincerely hope it's not booze, illegal drugs or worse yet, prostitution compliments of these Orphan Housing and Directory foundation managers. Are we on a similar page Major?" I nod.

"It better not be. You've my blessing. Get it done quickly. I want this garbage off our streets. Captain Gordon, return all prisoners to holding ships while your investigations continue. Kathy, I understand you're working with her, where'd you find Tammy?"

Kathy replies, "She's my new neighbour. I saw her for the first time two days ago."

A huge smile bursts on his face. He nods at Kathy, "One hell of a neighbour. Exceptional work, go get them. Don't stand here entertaining me. The press has an immediate gag order on these proceedings."

Our entourage heads back to our offices. We step off an elevator but as we turn a corner to our offices, News crews wait. Clair and I are center in a pack, but Clair is a half step behind me.

I see it out of a corner of my eye. As my senses prickle awareness, Clair slides past me on the floor. As his hand touches me, anger, frustration and reflexes take over.

Air explodes from Jimbo's lungs with his impact on our wall. My white knuckled hand is above my head around his throat. The heel of my other hand is wedged under his rib cage, digging deep into his diaphragm and holding him in place. His feet dangle. My body is leaning forward for support pinning him.

He is bug eyed in terror and shock. I scream, "If you ever touch me, attack a member of my staff, or a friend of mine again, it will not be security who will take you away. It will be a stretcher, which may have a white sheet over your head. Do you understand?"

Completely cowed in fear, he nods. I twist and send him sliding across the highly polished floor back toward other stunned standing reporters. He stops at their feet. I turn to check on Clair. She is on her feet looking at me as if I am a god.

Gerry's booming voice comes from behind a group of reporters, "Jimbo, the last thing your channel broadcast is you sending a gold medal winning captain flying across a floor. I shut down your media channel. Every other channel broadcast you making an absolute fool of yourself. She is not Tammy the terror. Her reactions are why you don't publicly make false accusations regarding her integrity then blindside attack a marine combat veteran. Security, arrest him for two more counts of assault." A moment later in quieter concerned voice he asks, "Clair, are you hurt?"

Clair is beside me, "No, Gerry. My guardian angel Tammy's protecting me." Her one arm is around my waist.

I lean my head down to her, "Are you sure you are not hurt?"

"Yes, I'm alright."

Katie, who is close behind her reports, "Your uniform is torn, Clair. I'm sure Major Tammy won't mind if you change. Rescuers, shall we escort Captain Clair to her suite?" Surrounded by six women, they escort Clair toward her suite. I need to sit down and start toward our office.

As I approach the front desk, Madge stands and grins, "Well done, sir."