Introductions

A tall thin woman waves from an entrance. She turns to an older man, says something then starts in our direction. As she gets closer, I am surprised to see she looks in her mid to late teens. Tiana and Katie meet her at the edge of our table, hugging. Katie turns, "Tarin, I'd like you to meet Tammy. Tammy, this is Tarin."

I stand and Tarin shakes my hand. A moment later, the man who she is with goes past us and straight to Kathy. They hug and Kathy nods, "Tammy, this is Rick. Rick, meet Tammy."

He shakes my hand warmly with both of his. "I thought I knew all of our gold medal winners."

Kathy replies, "She won both of them at the train horror this afternoon."

Rick exclaims, "That's a record! I don't remember anyone winning two gold medals in one day. It's an honour to meet you. Congratulations, Tammy. I'm going to review what happened there today."

Kathy smiles at him. "It's magical."

A blonde woman stops behind Rick. Rick's twin stands beside her. He is taller, heavier and trailed by children, a preschooler to early teens. They both look at me as if they cannot remember my name. Rick turns to them. "Colleen and Chris meet Tammy. I think you know everyone else."

We shake hands and Chris comments, "We've our usual table Rick. We need to get these guys settled. It's a pleasure to meet you, Tammy."

Colleen smiles, "I hope we'll meet you again." Like geese, off they go following Chris, with Colleen guiding stragglers.

Rick looks at Tarin, "If you want a seat, we'd better be going." Tarin hugs the girls. They move toward a booth on a back wall.

Kathy comments, "Rick is like my stepson. I've known him since he's ten. He found me in that accident I mentioned to you. He saved my life."

A moment later, Orenda arrives with plates of steaming food on a cart. She places a small decorative bottle of brandy between Kathy and me. Orenda smiles, "Enjoy your meal. I think you'll need a little privacy otherwise your food will be cold before you get to eat it." As she leaves, she pulls a curtain across an end of our booth.

Her food melts in my mouth, the finest I ever tasted. I ponder for a second whether this is a by-product of genetic enhancements. Is it mine, the food or both? The brandy and coffee complement the atmosphere. Orenda pops back in and in a flash, our table is clear. Orenda smiles at us. "Dessert will be here in about ten minutes. Tammy, there's a young woman who'd like to meet you. I wouldn't ask but she's wearing a gold medal. She's by herself and stood at my entrance for a few minutes."

Kathy smiles, "I've no objection. Would you like more company, Tammy?"

I reply, "Please ask her to join us."

A moment later Orenda returns with Clair. She won the instant gold medal earlier today. She looks shocked at seeing our group. "I didn't mean to intrude. I'm sorry. Perhaps we can meet at another time?"

Out of her rescue suit, in a red tee shirt and blue jeans she is a pretty, red haired girl with almost paper white skin. She is slim, with light tan freckles. Her gold medal hands from a ribbon around her neck. She appears younger than my teenaged companions do. I stand and realize everyone at our table did as well.

Kathy holds out her hand. "A gold medal winner is never an intrusion." She shakes her hand.

I reach for her hand to find her trembling. "Is it Clair? Please join us. Have you eaten?"

Shock crosses her face at my mention of her name. She nods, relaxes a little and starts glowing. "I'd consider it an honour and privilege. I've eaten. I wouldn't have if I'd known I'd find you here." Clair turns to Katie and Tiana. "It's great to see you both again."

Hugs start between our girls. Tiana squeaks, "Wow Claire! A gold medal, may I touch it?" Clair proudly holds it out. Our giddy girls are genuinely impressed.

Orenda turns to Clair. "I've a perfect desert for you, Clair. Would you like to try it?"

Clair turns to face us. "Are you sure I'm not intruding?"

I reply, "Orenda promised us a desert fit for a queen. Please, come and sit beside me."

Kathy grins, "Join us Clair, so our starry eyed girls can stare at all those gold medals and stop bothering Orenda's guests. I need to know what you did to keep that house up. That's never happened before."

She slides in beside me, opposite Kathy and the girls. A murmur starts from beyond our open curtain. Kathy looks at Clair and me. "I'm sorry, ladies, but I suspect Orenda's patrons figured out some special people are hiding in this booth."

Orenda stands tall. "Have no fear guests. You'll not be disturbed. If I must, I'll post a guard." Smiling, she nods and vanishes drawing the curtain closed.