Day Two

I wake with a start. I look around and wonder if I am still dreaming. In many ways, this place makes it seem like a dream. I feel well rested, not groggy or lethargic. I cannot remember sleeping this soundly. I catch my reflection in a mirror. No need for makeup not that I use it, I do not look younger, but I look less stressed. I dress in a white shirt, crisply seamed black dress pants, and comfortable black dress shoes.

I catch something in my reflection and stand back. On my right, it reads 'Tammy'. On my left side are two gold disks. Kathy said a white dress shirt. Is this their formal dress standard?

While pouring a coffee, I spot sun glints and track them my coffee table. There are two black boxes, and beside them, two shimmering gold medals attached to colorful ribbons. I inspect the one labeled 'Rescuers', centered it reads, 'Inspiration', under is my name, and along a bottom edge a date. There are minor differences between these awards, the label, 'Adjudicators', and centered, 'Spirit'. Out in my world these would be meaningless. They remind me of a gold medallion at a school track meet.

I wonder how they got my name on them. Five minutes elapsed from them finishing speeches, voting, followed by an award presentation. I was not supposed to be there. They are one more mystery.

I hear something. A sound comes from my door. It is very faint.

She has her back to me. Clair is walking toward an open area lounge opposite my door. "Good morning, Clair. Please come in."

I startle her. "I didn't want to wake you or intrude. I'm very early."

"Do you drink coffee?"

Smiling, she replies, "I love it. Black, no sugar or cream, please. Are you sure I'm not intruding?"

She settles in a soft reclining chair. I smile, "We have more in common than you think. I will not mess with a great cup of coffee by adding to it."

I set a coffee mug in front of her as she puts down one of my medals. "Is your medal similar?"

"Yes, except it reads 'Excellence' on it. I see you didn't put them in their display cases."

"I was exhausted when I got back last night. I think I fell asleep before hearing my door close. You look sharp in your white shirt. I understand your gold disk, but what does the blue square represent?"

"My unit citation, my certificate looks similar, blue with white lettering and a gold fringe. Tammy, may I show you how to mount your medals in their display cases."

They turn out to be much larger than they look. The colorful ribbon attached to my awards forms an arc along a centered lower edge and reaches to pins in each upper corner. Using its weight, it folds and hangs downward in a 'V' shape. My medal rests on top of that shimmering ribbon highlighting the award. Once seated it appears to leap out at you. In raised gold capitol letters, my case reads 'Inspiration', a little below and centered 'Rescuers'.

As Clair starts on my second medal, I notice two torn belt loops on a side table. I pick them up and place one below 'Rescuers' to underline it. The other I place below 'Adjudicators'. Clair shows me a raised button. She pushes it and a clear cover slides over top, locking everything in place.

Clair looks tired. "Did you get any sleep, Clair?"

"No, it turned into an all night party. I figured I'd get something to eat, but people keep staring at me. I went back home and told them I'm tired. A couple of them started teasing me. It was very noisy. I spent most of last night wandering and thinking."

She looks down at her handiwork. "Those belt loops are a nice touch. Do you know how hard it is to rip those? I've seen girls dangle by one and do tricks."

I reply, "That is so I never forget who the real heroine is."

Kathy is standing on our balcony, "That doesn't make my hands hurt less. Good morning to both of you, Clair you're here bright and early. I came to see if Tammy is up and if she changed her mind about going. You really don't need to go."

I wave her in, "Kathy, how are your hands this morning?"

She smiles, "I've done far worse in a kitchen. I'm all thumbs in there. Those award cases look good. Your belt loops add an interesting element to them."

"They will always remind me of my friend who caused them to happen and the friend who mounted them for me."

A loud knock seems to come from my balcony. Kathy stands, "My door. I'll be right back ladies." Kathy vanishes around a balcony corner.

"Clair, how many girls do you share your suite with?"

Clair replies, "Eight, we're orphans. They had several whole blocks in there last night. There must've been thirty girls and a few boys. I could barely move. I didn't even get a piece of my cake, it just disappeared."

"I am sorry, Clair. If you ever want to get away or even just want some peace and quiet, you can come here. Consider this a second home. You are a welcome friend at any time, day or night, whether I am here or not."

I look up to see Kathy on my balcony. She turns and heads back toward her apartment. Her voice echoes from her balcony door. "Hey girls, breakfast is here. Come and get it."

Clair looks up at me, "But I'm younger than you and I only met you yesterday."

"Age means nothing. Kathy and I count more years between us compared you and me. I am a good judge of character. I trust you with my life, Clair. You are the sister I never had. I may only be here two weeks, but I know I will never forget you." I hold out my hand. "We should see about breakfast."