New Directions

New uniforms are waiting when we return to our suites. I smile at three blue stripes adorning the sleeve cuffs on my white shirts. Clair bounces showing off two thin blue stripes on her shirt cuffs. "That looks good on you, Captain. Should we go peek at your new suite?"

We enter and stand in a plain white suite. It looks like mine did yesterday. Clair looks back and forth, "It's so big."

Kathy taps on her balcony window. Kathy's uniform looks like ours with a very large single gold stripe on her sleeve cuffs. Clair opens her balcony door while waving Kathy in.

Kathy comments, "Clair, I've made all three balconies into one long one. We can move freely between suites with no outside hallways to worry about. Is that alright?"

Clair replies, "Really, too cool, thank you, Kathy."

I smile at Kathy. "Now all you have to do is to teach us how to work our suites."

We hear a knock and Kathy comments, "I suspect that's Sharon. Your suite is knocking, Tammy."

Clair runs to her door and pulls it open. "Sharon, we're over here!" Sharon wears three glinting gold medals around her neck. Her shirt has three blue stripes on her sleeve cuffs.

Sharon squeals, "Clair, you've a suite all to yourself. You did good, girl. Where's your bedroom?" They run down a short hallway. Kathy jerks her head toward the balcony, and we settle in deck chairs.

I look over my shoulder for a sign of our girls, "You brought Clair here as an orphan."

She nods. "She's ours now, like it or not."

With a huge smile on her face, Kathy pats my hand.

A few minutes later, Clair's suite is starting to look like a home. Our girls are going to town. I smile, "I have something I want to do." Kathy follows me into Clair's living room.

Both girls look at us. "Ladies, would you join me? I need directions and an escort. We need to invite another hero for dinner. I want Commander Carol to join us. After, perhaps we can go by your dorm to pick up your things. How does that sound?"

Sharon replies, "Great idea, Tammy. I'd be pleased to have Commander Carol join us."

I ask, "Kathy, would you like to come for a walk with us?"

"I'd enjoy that very much."

I knock. A depressed looking Commander Carol stands beside her open door. She looks confused, "Major?"

"Commander Carol, I am Tammy. I would like to invite a hero to join our company for dinner at Orenda's. I attended Rescuer Sharon's assessment. You impressed me with your actions."

Carol looks confused. "Have you got your wires crossed, Major? I've two tribunals tomorrow. I'm hardly a hero."

"I know two generals and another major who beg to differ on that point. Commander, please join us, or must I ask a general to invite you?"

"Now I'm intrigued. Another major and generals want to have dinner with me?"

"Yes. A very special lady requests your company at her celebration dinner. She received three gold medals today and claims if not for you, she would have lost faith in her abilities."

"Sharon? I never met her parents. I didn't know they are generals."

"Her parents are colonels."

She looks at me with a wrinkled brow and asks, "Who are you, Major?"

Kathy appears beside me. "Commander, I've asked that question many times over the last two days. Please be at this address at six forty five sharp, in full dress uniform. View this invitation as an order, Commander."