Reaction

I turn a corner of the hallway to my suite. Our hallway is full of people going back and forth. Everyone stops and moves to both sides as I walk. Madge yells, "Clair's upset, she's in your suite Tammy." I nod and step through my door.

Clair is sobbing, curled up in a ball in a middle of my floor. I kneel down beside her and wrap her in my arms. I break down, both of us streaming tears. I eventually find myself saying, "We stopped them. They cannot hurt anyone, anymore. We stopped them, Clair."

She pulls back, sitting on her legs. "I found one of my friends. They locked her in a closet. She's all bruises with dried blood everywhere. They beat her!"

"You stopped them. They will never do that to her again. You stopped them and rescued her."

She wipes her eyes and sniffling asks, "Tammy, are you hurt? Your uniform? Your face?"

"No. I am not hurt. I have a scratch and two criminals jumping me, tore my uniform. We are not done yet. We must make sure judges know who they are. We will make it clear to all citizens as well. We are going on a hospital tour to check on our orphan victims. We are going to make sure they are doing everything possible for them. Are you ready to do that?"

"Yes. I want everyone to know they are history. I need to make sure my orphan sisters are being taken care of."

"Go clean up. I need a quick shower and a change of clothes. After we change, you can check this scratch on my cheek. We will continue to attack in different ways to make sure this dragon stays dead." She nods and heads for our balcony. I head for my shower.

Clair sits with me when I return to my living room. She hands me a mug of coffee. "A slash. It barely broke your skin. I'll clean it and put a light dressing on it. Two days from now, it'll be gone."

We step out of my suite to find Jess and Madge. Jess dives, wrapping her arms around Clair, "You're not supposed to lead the gang. You're a healer. Clair, I heard you're upset. Can I help?"

She smiles, "I'm fine now. My guardian angel came and put my world back on the right course. Are our other orphans alright?"

Jess replies, "They're perfect. Those rescuers did a fine job. Once news broke of your attacks, everyone stayed glued to monitors. They don't need me today."

I order, "Jess, as an orphan representative, you are with us today. Come and see what we did."

Madge's eyes are pooled water, "Executive officers are back, sir. They're in your office waiting for you."

I start toward my office and freeze. "Madge, where is everyone? When I came back this place was packed."

"Our Rescuer Angels' army of volunteers deployed to battle zones, sir."

We enter our office to sad, concerned eyes. Victims and experiences took a toll. Kathy walks over. "I hear you're injured. I need to check to see if you deserve that 'Purple Heart' attack you gave me when I heard." She studies my face. "Nice job, Clair. You can hardly see it." Kathy looks at Jess and nods, "It's nice to see you again."

Clair replies, "Jess will be going with us as an orphans' representative."

Kathy nods, "Welcome to our circle of hell, Jess. War stories for another day. It's time to meet an angry, vengeful judge."

I stop our entourage at Madge's desk. "Madge, we are going to a hearing, then to a press conference. After Clair, Jess, and I will be late. We plan to visit orphan victims. If you are not needed at our reception desk, please go home after a couple of trying days."

Madge looks up, smiling. "Thank you for your concern. Perhaps you should read my new nameplate." It reads, 'Media Relations Officer Madge'.