Pleasant Company

Orenda returns with a large cake box in her hand and slides in beside Clair. She hands large envelopes to everyone. "I told my staff I'm unavailable until my special guests leave. Those are pictures. Ladies, may I post a portrait of you on my wall of fame?"

Clair's eyes grow wide. "You want my picture on your wall?"

Orenda smiles and waves her hand to brush away the question, "Of course Clair, you won a gold medal. You've a right to be up on my wall with our best. You're one of them."

I nod at Orenda and hand a huge cutting knife to Clair. "You won your medal before I did. You are today's senior golden girl. Please do us the honor and cut my cake."

I seem to have unusual feelings for Clair. She lacks confidence, fears adults, but is smart and obviously brave. I do not get along with teenagers as a rule. I find them selfish and disrespectful. Today, I met more teenagers than I did in months. These teens are extremely polite and dedicate themselves to saving others. Adults in our booth went out of their way to make me comfortable and to protect me. This seems a far better society than any I know.

I turn to Clair. "You should explain to Kathy what you did in that house today. She is biting her tongue. Much longer and it will start bleeding and spoil her cake." Clair looks at me like a deer realizing there is danger near.

Kathy scolds, "Out with it, Clair, or I'll tell them it was a mechanical flaw." Clair's eyes grow large as she looks at Kathy.

Tiana catches on to Kathy's teasing, "She can't, Grandma. Katie and I haven't been in that train horror. She'd be letting a rescuer's secret out."

Katie figures it out. "Please, Clair, I need to know so I can look like a hero too!" Orenda burst out laughing.

Clair looks at Katie with a smile. "Sorry, Katie, it's a secret I'll take to my grave." She laughs.

Katie replies, "Or until we watch your video."

The ice is broken and conversation starts. It seems Clair who is an aider acted as an engineer this afternoon. Before they enter the house, she sees it leaning. Inside, she uses a fallen beam to brace a joint at the junction of the ceiling and wall. She kicks the beam at floor level toward the wall so the floor holds it in position. Finding another beam, she does it again on the far side of the large room.

I ask, "Can we start at a beginning? I know nothing about rescue suits or rescuers. Kathy, you seem to have a timeline on them. How did this start?"

Kathy explains when they rescue her, rescue suits are little more than a frame. There is a little protection for a rescuer. It is mostly a strength enhancement. The next generation, inspired by her rescue are full rescue suits that encase a rescuer.

Rescue suits offer both strength and protection. A huge change comes when they do the first train horror scenario. It is identical to what we watched earlier today. Their first run is a disaster. Clair's house collapses, trapping five victims and three rescuers.

It switches to a first person account. "I'm under the ship when a call goes out. I start running toward the trapped rescuers as the explosion happens. It blows me off the ground. I'm unconscious.

"Video recordings show, I sail under our ship about eight feet high. I look like I'm flying, my bouncing arms flap outward like wings, riding on the concussion wave. One elevator is heading up. I should hit a corner of the elevator floor facemask first. On impact, my helmet would shatter and my head impale on the elevator floor corner. I would've died instantly.

"It's my second miracle from Gerry. Gerry jumps and intercepts me like a football. He redirects me away from the elevator with only inches to spare. When we finish our simulation, we figure we'd lost twenty seven victims and some rescuers. Seven rescuers are in hospital.

"Changes start with rescue suits and soon rescuers in general. They come fast and furious after that. We got enhancements like sealed suits, extra protection, lights, onboard computers, and sensors. Eventually rescue suits start to become too complicated." She turns and nods, "Its Orenda's story from here."

With stunned looks on their faces, our girls turn to Orenda. Orenda devises mixed units and rescue suits with different purposes. First are heavy, highly protected but powerful engineers with sensors to assess integrity, environment and surroundings. Finders are strong and well protected. Finders train to locate trapped victims and direct engineers to get to them. Aiders, as they are nicknamed are still well protected, but with fine motor controls in specialist suits. They safely retrieve victims without causing more pain and damage. Medics are also suited rescuers but lightly protected. They wait under a ship. Medics use tools to do life saving procedures. Over time, more 'specialists' are required depending on conditions. She nods at Kathy.

Kathy explains that control of various rescuers became a problem. They introduce a rank system creating a paramilitary organization. Ground controllers, triage, a set style of units, and of course, officers on ships with an overall picture of what is happening. Control structures and a chain of command follow. That brings a new set of problems.