Orenda's Breakfast

As we turn a corner to Kathy's suite, Orenda nods at us from Kathy's stark kitchen nook. "Good morning ladies. Come help yourselves. Get it while it's hot."

A mouth watering aroma guides my eyes to two four foot high food warmers on wheels. A shimmer of heat dances above five sets of shelves. Orenda walks over holding empty plates and wrapped cutlery. As she hands me a plate I study her white shirt.

Her shirt cuffs are one large gold band. Where two gold circles are located on my shirt, Orenda has five gold disks followed by five gold octagons in the top row. Her second row has five silver disks and five silver octagons. A third row has seven bronze disks finishing off with three bronze octagons. Centered under them are two more bronze octagons.

Checking a person's ribbons gives me a measure their experience and valor. I realize I did it out of habit, my military past. Unlike that past though, these are straight forward. They are hard to read in the military of late. Many political people get medals that do not mean real experience.

Orenda smiles, "Kathy's changing, she'll be out in a minute." In an overly loud voice, she yells, "Well, maybe a little longer. She's getting old, you know."

I follow Clair as she fills her plate. I have more on my plate than I usually eat for breakfast and lunch. Orenda sits opposite us with a heaping plate in hand.

As Kathy comes into view, Tiana and Katie enter saying good mornings. Kathy tells them to hurry before we devour all their breakfast. The girls settle beside Clair. Kathy sits beside Orenda and starts in at her steaming food. Kathy's shirt cuffs are gold.

Beside me, all movement stops. I glance sideways to see the girls staring at Kathy. I look across at Kathy and Orenda. They are busy eating.

Kathy's shirt has six rows of octagons and dots. Two rows are solid gold, followed by a row of silver. A half row of silver octagons followed by bronze disks. Under them is a row and a half of bronze. If hers match Orenda's in width, that is over fifty medals.

I ask, "What is this assessment and how does it work?" My question succeeds in breaking the trance and our girls start eating again.

Kathy explains, "Several assessments are done for every exercise and rescue. Experts at operational levels do different types of assessments. They look for improvements in ground units and if they need more resources or could've got there faster. Ground officers check on each unit's performance as a general assessment. If they find someone did something exceptional or seriously wrong, they kick it upstairs. They review it again to decide on how severe an offence is or the brilliance of what this unit or rescuer did. In Clair's case, it was immediately obvious she did something exceptional.

"As a follow up for every exercise or rescue, an individual can request a review of their performance. Footage from their rescue suit, cameras from other rescuers and any recordings they appear in are used. They sit down with an officer and get a one on one breakdown of how they performed. A level one review is our most common.

"A level two review occurs when during reviewing, something special happened. A small group of officers usually meet with a rescuer. Today's assessment is a level three review. It's a full public inquiry. Reviewers discovered something that needs attention from all rescuers.

"A rescuer who requests a review has no choice as to which level will occur. This rescuer wanted to know if she did well. She wanted a one on one meeting with her section leader. Instead, she'll be center stage in front of all rescuers.

"Tammy, this review is for the rescuer who worked in your school and brought you out. Officially, you're not supposed to be there. There's concern that seeing what happened to you could trigger a post traumatic stress episode. It's up to you."

"Thank you for your concern. I am a combat veteran of two tours. I never suffered a major post traumatic stress incident. I want to meet and thank both those rescuers for saving my life. Lastly, I am all dressed up with an impeccable entourage and am ready to go." That brings smiles and giggles.

After breakfast, Kathy pulls me aside. "I made a couple of quick inquiries about a new residence for Clair. There are a couple of problems. She's a minor and an orphan. If I've a few minutes alone with you, I'll explain. She's special to me."

I nod and in a raised voice comment, "I have an idea. You are concerned about my having an episode today. Clair is an aider. She should sit beside me in case I start having issues." Clair beams.

Orenda pipes up, "That sounds perfect to me, and I'll be on your other side. We'll sit near an aisle in case we need to get you out in a hurry."