Company

As we head back to my suite, a knock comes from my outside door. Commander Carol is in her dress uniform. She looks at me warily. "Major, I know I'm early. I don't know you and I've no idea where you came from. I made a few calls to friends and nobody has heard of a Major Tammy. I've no appreciation of pranks. After my last few days, I'm very angry. I hope you're not trying to pull something. General Kathy is retired. Who are you?"

Kathy bellows from behind me, "Commander Carol, this is not a prank. I'm back in active service because of you. You should join us. You're going to have a few surprises tonight. Major Tammy specifically requested your presence tonight. She thinks you're a hero. Don't disappoint her."

Carol looks behind me in surprise. I nod, "Please come have a seat. A lot has happened." I lead her to a recliner. "Please call me Tammy. May I call you Carol?"

Before she can answer, our girls heard a raised voice and charge in looking for trouble. Sharon spots Carol. She runs and wraps her arms around her.

"Thank you for coming. I would've forgotten if not for Tammy. I got these medals because you took time to convince me I could be a rescuer." Carol has a shocked expression on her face. She is looking at officers. They are very young officers.

Another knock and Kathy opens my door to Colonels Sheri and Abe. Sharon let go of Carol, who almost falls and runs to her parents. She pulls them to Carol. "This is my Commander Carol. Commander, meet my parents, Abe and Sheri."

Abe and Sheri shake Carol's hand. They comment on how pleased they are that Sharon found guidance and support. They are impressed with Carol's actions during her rescue assessment. Carol is not responding. None of it is registering.

Sheri recognizes it and asks Sharon, "What've you been doing?" Sharon leads them toward our balcony with some very happy young women. Clair invites them to her new suite while explaining that Sharon helped set it up.

I touch Carol's hand. "Please sit before you fall. How do you take your coffee?"

She stammers, "Black please." A moment later, I hand her a mug of coffee and sit beside her. My belt looped gold medals are still on my coffee table. She is staring at them. She turns to me and asks, "Tammy, what's happened?"

"It is a complicated story that begins with your assessment today. Kathy almost blew a gasket. First thing she said after wearing out her carpet was, 'Commander Carol is a bloody hero'. That is an exact quote. I agree with her. I like strong people. Carol you are one of them. Immediately after that assessment, we are in Gerry's office. He reinstated them to their previous ranks. Their job is to find out how and why this happened to the rescuers and to fix it."

Kathy opens my door to General Orenda.

Carol asks, "You're the crazy lady from that train horror scenario. You were with Kathy." I nod. "I thought you're a visitor. How did you end up in uniform and mixed up in all this?"

I explain Kathy convinced Gerry I should be involved, and about his recruiting our girls. Sharon, with three glittering medals hanging from her neck, sits down beside Carol.

"Commander, you've met Tammy before. You helped her out of a basement hallway during our rescue. She's on that special backboard that Gerry and I handed up to you. She's the angel lady."

At that precise moment, Kathy opens my door. Gerry, Tarin, and Katie enter in dress uniforms. A commotion follows. After about thirty seconds, Gerry makes his way to us.

"Tammy, Katie informs me that even though Clair is your guide, she has to check on you every day. Tarin was in tears at my office. She claims her generation of rescuers are in danger of self-destructing. Rick and I couldn't calm her down. She had to see what we're doing to fix the issues.

"Speaking of which, Carol, after your tribunals tomorrow you're to go home and change into your new uniform. Please report to General Kathy here. Commander Carol, you're now part of this team after a request from Tammy, with endorsements from Generals Kathy and Orenda."

She is not responding. Five seconds later she replies, "Yes sir. I'm looking forward to it." Her expression changes and grows into a huge smile. Orenda, in a loud voice announces it is time to go.

Our entourage turn a corner heading for Orenda's, while people stop and stare. An entrance line at Orenda's Fine Foods stares silently. Crossing her large dining room brings complete silence. Ushered into a private dining room in back, we have a fantastic meal and a great time. I am very impressed with everyone. The granddaughters are now part of our team. It is a wonderful ending to a confusing day. It is a perfect setting for beginning a new job.