Invitations

I look for Orenda and Kathy. They are chatting on my balcony. Kathy sees me coming, "Every one of them will be here tomorrow morning and they'll be bringing friends. Sometimes you fire them up a little too much. You'd better get on a phone Tammy. It'll mean more coming from you."

I sit in a recliner in my living room, pull out my phone and call Bill. While it rings, Clair puts a mug of coffee beside me.

"Bill."

"It is Tammy. Bill, activate your phone tree, I need as many of you here as possible."

"Is something wrong? What's happened?"

"We are having a block party starting at six. All of your rescuers and their families are invited. Bring all the orphans. I want them to see what real life is like. They will never be forgotten again."

"Yes! We've a lot to do now. See you soon." I hang up. Clair has a tear trickling down her face.

"Clair, I have a big favour to ask of you."

She replies, "Ask."

"I want your room mates here tonight. I want them to see a life of freedom. The way they acted is because they felt forgotten. They thought you changed sides. In a way, Elsie trashed your room and made your life hell. It is a reflection of how she treated you and other orphans. We are not sure if they did trash your room. It could have been Rana and sons."

She nods. I call Gord. "Tammy, is there a problem?"

"No Gord, a favour and an invite. Clair's roommates from yesterday, can you have them here after six?"

"Piece of cake."

"Good. That is on our menu tonight as well. We would like all security to join us for a block party here. Bring your families."

"I'll pass the word. See you soon, Tammy."

Clair asks, "Tammy, how do I get to be smart like you?"

"I am not that smart. Why would you ask?"

"What you said about Elsie. I understand now. You seem to remember everyone and make sure no one's forgotten. I want to be like that."

Kathy from behind us replies, "You will be, Clair. I've seen it in you already. You're learning from a master. Keep watching her. You know she cares a lot about you, right?" Clair nods, smiling. Kathy is beside me.

"I'll show how much she cares. That office and all those people are here because of you. She didn't like what she saw and wanted changes made. With all those fancy uniforms and offices going up, she ignored it all. Where is the first place you went with her this morning?"

"The Orphan Directory office..." Clair has a puzzled expression. She looks at me, "You wanted to see a director. When you called her, you used my name."

Kathy replies, "Yes Clair, Tammy may be the shit kicker, but you're her reason. We've a lot of entertaining to do. Tammy put those medals on a wall please."

"Clair is in charge of medals. She put them in their cases and knows where they belong."

I ask, "Kathy, are we officially off duty for this party?"

She gives me a questioning look, "Where are you going with this? We're the hosts."

"Block parties where I come from are friends and neighbours getting together. They are not formal. They are 'come as you are' like a picnic or barbeque. I want to attend this one out of uniform. We will not intimidate our guests with rank and medals while they try to impress, influence or shy away from us. We should be ordinary people meeting other normal people."

Clair replies, "I like that idea. Orphans are afraid of security, uniforms, stripes, titles and medals. They feel they're different. If they come here and meet a nice person at a party, then see them patrolling in a security uniform, they might see they're there to protect them, not arrest them."

Gerry joins in, approaching from across my room. "People meeting a person not coming to see legends with rows of medals, that's a great idea."

Kathy smiles, "Clair, remember our chat a few minutes ago and Tammy's comment about us dressing like ordinary people? You nailed that idea home for all of us. You learn quickly." She disappears around a corner of our balcony.

A minute later, I step out into our hallway and Madge waves me over. Madge grins, "I knew you were something special. I wasn't sure in what ways. I now know you're considerate, feisty, and brilliant. I'm proud to have met you, Tammy."

While she says that, streams of people are leaving behind me. I take a quick peek at them. They are looking at my casual short sleeved blouse and blue jeans.

I grin at Madge, "I think you are a similar friend. Thank you, Madge."

Madge stands with a huge grin on her face. "If you'll excuse me, I've some grandchildren to pick up. I want them to see I'm working in this office. They don't remember me as a working person."

Kathy is behind me. "See you soon Madge. Tammy, my hands are too sore to grab your belt loops today. No silly stuff please." She is dressed in blue jeans and a tee shirt. Clair is beside her in a blouse and slacks. Gerry comes up behind them in a plaid long sleeved shirt and blue jeans.

I pick up Madge's makeshift nameplate, "Madge is someone special. She deserves better than this." Gerry takes her handwritten nameplate and looks at the temporary table that is Madge's desk.

Kathy warns, "Gerry she'll not stop. You better do it right the first time or she'll notice." Our hallway and offices are almost empty. Gerry puts a finger on his ear and walks away. Kathy nods to my suite, "We need to have a quick drink and get out of his way."

While I sip my mug of coffee, Sharon and her parents walk onto our balcony. Sharon is in a sundress. Sheri is in slacks and a blouse. Abe wears blue jeans and a long sleeved pullover sweater.

Kathy announces, "It's time to meet our troops and their families."

I grab Clair's hand. "Stay close. I do not want to get lost just outside my suite. That would be too embarrassing."

We step out my door and see a formal, dark wood coloured desk across our hallway. Bold gold letters stretch from desktop to floor, 'Rescuer Angels Executive Reception'. Two swing gates are on either side of Madge's desk. On top of her desk running the width of it reads, 'Madge: Rescuer Angels Reception'. Under that title it reads, 'Retired rescuer Madge pioneered our Finder Rescuers'. We step past open gates. On our left, every desk has a nameplate identifying a person who sat there today. Our office wall reads, 'Executive Office'.

Kathy comments from beside me, "Now we look both real and professional."

I reply, "I hope it will show our appreciation for the great staff that you put together."

Kathy taps my arm, "Turn around."

Madge stands with tears welling in her eyes. A man holds a baby beside a woman who looks like a younger version of Madge. Madge looks up and mouths, "Thanks."

I step forward with my hand stretched out. "Hi Madge, is this your family?"

That is how it starts. Word spread fast. Everyone shows up in casual clothes and starts mingling. Soon there are too many faces and too many names. Clair is always at my side. It looks like every race and ethnicity is here. Orenda and her staff outdid themselves with dishes from every possible origin.