ThoughtsOnPaper Presents: Engkwentro (a Sneak Peak)

Time flies so fast! I feel like the Wattpad Block Party - Winter Edition IV only happened a few days ago! Now we're in the summer edition! Never-ending 'THANK YOU' to KellyAnneBlount for keeping this event going. This will be my sixth time in a row to have the privilege of participating in this fantastic party.

On this post, I would like to take the opportunity to talk about Engkwentro: Tales of the Strange & Supernatural, a paranormal-romance anthology iamloid, CindyWDelaCruz, bentchbites and I released in April of 2018. I will also include a snippet from my story, Tears & Sun Showers, featured in this anthology.

How did this project come about? With romantic anthologies getting released left, right, and centre, author KC Cimafranca came up with the idea of releasing an anthology of our own

How did this project come about? With romantic anthologies getting released left, right, and centre, author KC Cimafranca came up with the idea of releasing an anthology of our own. She brought us together with the idea of a collection of paranormal-romance stories. After several days of brainstorming, we decided to make this collection even more unique by featuring creatures from Philippine folklore–the Aswang, Dalaketnon, Kapre, Mambabarang, and Tikbalang. Allow me to introduce them to you.

The Aswang, featured in KC Cimafranca's "An Aswang Story", is amongst the most feared creature in the Philippines. It is a shape shifter, usually takes the form of a human or a domesticated animal by day, and turns into a monster that has similar traits of a vampire, ghoul, warlock/witch, and/or werebeasts by night; they prey on the living for food.

 It is a shape shifter, usually takes the form of a human or a domesticated animal by day, and turns into a monster that has similar traits of a vampire, ghoul, warlock/witch, and/or werebeasts by night; they prey on the living for food

The Dalaketnon, featured in "Unforgettable" by Loid Valenzuela (@iamloid), is an evil engkanto (environmental spirit that takes human form). They are believed to be tall handsome and beautiful creatures who live like nobles, and try to fit in the mortal world. They abduct people and take them to their world where they hold a feast for them. The victims are forced to eat black rice, which puts them under the dalaketnon's spell and are turned to slaves.

The Kapre, featured in "Rendezvous with a Kapre" by Cindy Dela Cruz (CindyWDelaCruz), is a tree giant, measuring around 7-9 feet tall. The kapre dwells in tall trees like acacias, mangoes, bamboo, or banyan/balete trees. They are said to sit amongst the trees' branches, smoking a cigar. Unlike the Aswang, he isn't considered evil, but can be vengeful when the trees they're inhabiting is cut down.