demonicblackcat presents ADAPTING NOVELS INTO COMICS

If you remember my last post on Wattpad Block Party, it's about comics.

I posted my own comic that I made myself in webtoon.

So it's only fitting that this year, my post is going to be about MAKING COMICS.

——

1: WHY COMIC?

Comic, especially webcomic, is very ubiquitous nowadays! If you're a writer and you're trying to make fast money, you should be on the lookout on every opportunity that you can get. In my case, I had to find a job that I can do remotely before I got married. My husband is taking me to his hometown and I'm sure his family won't let me work under some company like I did before (don't be alarmed! It's just the standard practice in East Asia, especially with wealthier family. My husband comes from a well-off family who run their own business.)

One of the option is obviously selling your books, but amazon sometimes sucks ball and you have to be careful about the indie publishers who are offering to publish your book but doesn't help you with the marketing.

Another option is turning your work into games, but from my experience, it can be tough to get some creative freedom on it.

So, I turn to comics. I've actually been writing comic for the last one and a half year. It's been an up and down journey, especially since it's a totally new area for me. But now, having finished two titles and starting my third and fourth one, I'm getting more confident in my ability to adapt comics from novels.

-

Anyway, here's a bit of my first comic to refresh your memory:

It's the comic version of my book, The Quirky Tale of April Hale. Over the last few months, it's grown quite a lot, having more than 400.000 reads with only 12 chapters. But that's not only thing that grew...

After I published The Quirky Tale of April Hale, I started to really work as a comic writer.

Another one that I published is in Tapas, called The God of Pain's Groom