One.

[HAYDEN HARTE]

"Bitch" Jack shoved me as he passed me in the hallway. I walked to my locker and grabbed my books for my next period.

I walked in the hallways with my head down avoiding all eye contact with people.

"Hayden! Hayden, wait up!" I hear a certain voice call to me. I turn around to see my best friend, Issac.

"Hi." I say softly. "Hey Hayden." Issac greets me. "Anything from Corbyn yet?" He asks. "Not yet. But Zach made a few comments this morning, and Jack just called me a bitch." I said hushed.

"Why do you let them bother you?" Issac asks. "Well, what am I supposed to do about it? Politely ask them to stop?" I asked.

He was quiet for a couple seconds.

"That's true." He admitted. "There's nothing I can do until I graduate. And that's still 9 months from now." I sighed.

"It'll go by quick, I promise. See you later." Issac says as I go into class. I sit down in my seat which is conveniently next to Corbyn Besson, also known as, the schools heartthrob, also known as, by bully.

"Hey slut." Corbyn laughs. I attempt to ignore him.

"You know the polite thing to do when says 'hello' to you, is to reply." Jonah says aggressively, coming out of nowhere.

"Hello, Corbyn." I said quietly. "What was that?" Corbyn asks, getting a rise out of me. "Hello, Corbyn." I said a bit louder, my voice shaky.

"Bitch." Corbyn laughs, sitting back in his seat as class starts.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

After school, I come home to an empty house. As usual. My dad went to jail a couple years ago and my mom is always on business trips.

Or so she says.

I go up to my room and set down my bag. I see Corbyn in his window across from mine. He makes eye contact with me and smiled slightly.

He always pretended to be nice to play with my emotions. I hated him for it.

I looked down a bit before walking over and closing my curtains. Corbyn and I have known each other since kindergarten because we're neighbours.

Him and I used to get along. We were friends throughout elementary, but something changed when high school started.

I honestly hated my life. I felt like I had nothing going for me, ever. Like I would just grow up, not find anybody, get a normal job and just have a normal life.

I always felt so alone. No family, hardly any friends, constantly being insulted and hated on. On top of that I have severe depression.

I stopped opening up to people in grade 8, when all my friends turned on me. Issac came along towards the end of my freshman year and we've been friends ever since.

But I don't really open up to him either.

I changed into some shorts and I put on a knitted sweater. I hated my legs. I looked at myself in my body mirror, revealing all the cuts on my legs.

I hated myself. I always felt empty. Or when I'm not empty, I'm sad. But I've gotten used to being sad. I'm sad a lot.

I turn away from my mirror and crawl into my bed. I open my laptop and put on a horror movie. I loved horror movies. They don't usually scare me. That's why I love them, they make feel powerful in some twisted way.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

After a few movies I decide to go get some food. I get dressed and head downstairs, grab my keys and walk out to my car.

I notice Corbyn and his little sister Ashley are sitting in Corbyns car. They didn't seem to notice me though. They looked upset about something.

I thought nothing of it and got in my car.

The car ride was peaceful. I listened to the radio and hummed along quietly.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

After getting home, I noticed only Ashley was in his car. I got out of my car catching her attention. She waved me over.

I walked over and she rolled down her window. Looking at her up close, it seemed like she had just been crying.

"C-Can I come over?" She asks. "Why?" I ask softly. "I guess maybe I'd feel better if I got out of my house." She said her voice a bit shaky.

"Yeah sure. I don't mind." I smiled. "Thank you." She said getting out of the car.

She followed me back into my house. "I got some food, do you want any?" I asked unlocking the door.

"Ar-are you sure you'd let me have some?" She asked. "Yeah. I won't finish it anyways." I said softly.

"Okay then." She smiled weakly.

"Go up to my room and I'll be there in a second. My room is the first door on the left." I smiled.

She nodded and head up to my room.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed us forks then went up to my room with Ashley.

I never asked why she was upset. I didn't wanna make her uncomfortable in any way. So we just got to know each other a bit.

Ashley calmed down after a couple minutes.
She was nicer than I expected her to be. But knowing this was a one time thing, I expected nothing from her.