Twenty.

[CORBYN BESSON]

Hayden is practically out cold in my arms as I carry her up to her room.

I lay her down on her bed and continue to take her shoes off. I pull the blanket over her and begin to walk away but am pulled back by Hayden's hand.

"Wait," I turn around, "sing me to sleep," she smiles. I kneel down next to her, "What would you like me to sing you?" "Our song,"

I hold her hand and begin to sing to her,

"Merrily we fall out of line,
out of line
I'd fall anywhere with you
I'm by your side"

Swinging in the rain humming melodies
We're not going anywhere until we freeze..."

I look into her drowsy eyes and smile,

"I'm not afraid anymore, I'm not afraid..."

Hayden begins to smile as I continue singing,

"forever is a long time,
but I wouldn't mind
spending it by your side..."

She begins to doze off, "goodnight Hayden." I kiss her forehead and leave.

I walk down the stairs and towards the front door, "thank you," someone says. I turn around.

"For being there for Hayden, I've never seen her so happy," Annette smiles, "it's no problem. She makes me just as happy." I say as I walk closer to Annette, "you're probably the best thing thats ever happened to her and I couldn't have asked for a better guy to be her boyfriend,"

"Thanks Annette that really...it really means a lot," I say giving her a hug.

She pats by back before saying, "you guys deserve each other," she pulls away from the hug, "now you go home and get some sleep," she smiles, "Alright. Bye," I say as I walk towards the door, "goodbye Corbyn."

I close the door behind my and walk over to my house.

As soon as I get home I change out of my suit and crash.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

The next morning I decided I was gonna call Hayden to say good morning to her.

I'm sitting on my bed with my phone up against my ear as I hear it keep ringing and ringing and ringing. Then it goes to voicemail.

I called her again before decided to just go over to her house to see what's up.

Immediately I know somethings off when I see her car isn't there because knowing Hayden, she never leaves her house. But I knock on her door anyway.

I wait a few seconds after knocking but give up and leave. I have no idea where the hell my girlfriend is.

I get back to the house and begin to panic. "Mom, do you know where Hayden could've went?" I ask as I walk into the kitchen, "no, she's not at the house?" She says and walks over and looks out the window, "no I just went over to see. Her car is gone too," I began to pace.

"She's probably fine. She probably just went to the grocery store or something," My mom said to me as I stopped pacing.

"Yeah, Yeah you're right. She's fine," I nodded and went up to my room.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

It's been a few days. I still haven't heard from Hayden what-so-ever. But I've seen her mom every once in a while drive in the parking lot.

I've hardly slept. It's impossible for me to stop thinking about where she is and if she's okay.

As I'm sitting in my bed, rocking back and forth, deep in thought, I decided I would go back over to her house.

I jump up from my bed and fly down the stairs and out the front door.

I walk up her front steps and knock on her front door. This time her mom answers, "Hey Corbyn. You here for Hayden?" She asks as she lets me in, "Yeah. She in her room?" I asked, "Yeah."

I run up the stairs and into her room. "Jesus Hayden where have you been?" I say in a slight panic still, "nowhere," she shrugs, "Hayden don't you dare lie to me," I shake my head, "where have you been?" I say a bit louder.

Hayden stays quiet.

"Hayden I have been worried sick for days wondering where you have been. The least you could do is tell me," I take a step towards her.

"Why do you care so much?" She finally says back.

"Because Im in love with you Hayden!" I raised my voice. "You don't mean that." Hayden shook her head.

"I do mean it!" I replied.

"How do you know?" Hayden said now raising her voice. "I know because whenever I see you happy I instantly feel this rush of joy. Whenever I see you upset I feel awful because an amazing girl like you should never be sad and I would do anything and I mean, anything to make you happy. I've never cared about anyone as much as I care about you. I've never felt the feelings I feel when I'm with you. I wanna shout it out to the world that I'm in love with Hayden Harte and there's nothing anyone can say or do that'll change my mind."

"How can you love a girl who's dying?"

"What?" I ask in shock, "I'm sick," Hayden croaks, "Hayden what do you mean?" I say, getting all soft, "I-I I have cancer," Hayden removes the beanie from her head and blonde chunks of hair come with it.

"Hayden oh my god," my heart breaks, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner," she breaks down crying and falls into my arms.