Five.

[CORBYN BESSON]

I wake up way too early that next morning. I sit up and look out my window.

Although all I could see from where I was, was the side of Hayden's house, I could still tell just how early it was.

I seemed as if the sun was just rising. I rolled out of bed and sit down in my computer chair. I just sit and draw for a while.

I ended up drawing a girl, stranded in the middle of a highway with cars just passing by her.

In a way to me in was a metaphor of depression. Describing the feeling of feeling alone and helpless and everyone just watches you suffer, ignoring you.

By the time I finished drawing, it was about time I should start getting ready for school. Although I dreaded it.

I got dressed and walked downstairs into the kitchen. "Your dads in court today, did you wanna come?" My mom asks.

"Nope." I said blankly as I opened the fridge.

"Okay. Is Ashley awake?" My mom asked. "I don't know." I replied. I grabbed a yogurt.

"I'll go check on her." My mom said walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

I grabbed a spoon out of the drawer and opened my yogurt.

"Morning Corbyn." My cousin, Daniel smiled coming up from the basement. "Morning." I smiled.

Daniel was basically by brother. His parents died in a car crash when he was 4 and he's been living with us ever since.

Daniel opened the cupboards and grabbed a granola bar.

After finishing my yogurt and throwing it out, Ashley came walking down the stairs behind my mom.

"You ready Mae?" I asked. "In a minute. Let me just grab a fruit cup of something." She replies walking to the fridge.

"Better hurry. We gotta leave in negative 3 minutes." I said. "God. I'll eat in the car." Ashley rolled her eyes.

I grabbed my bag.

"Bye mom, love you." I said kissing her cheek before leaving. "Bye dear." She smiled. "Bye mom." Ashley waved as she walked out the door.

"Bye guys." Daniel said. "Byyeee." I smiled before closing the front door.

I followed behind Ashley. I hit the button on my keys to unlock my car, allowing Ashley to get in.

I noticed Hayden's car gone. Most likely meaning she had left for school already.

"Why didn't you go to school the past 2 days?" Ashley asked. "I don't know, I guess I needed some time alone." I replied.

"Oh. Yeah I can see why you would need to." Ashley replied.

It was silent for a couple seconds.

"Do you think dad's gonna go to jail?" Ashley asked. "I don't know, Ashley. I hope not." I said as we pulled into the school parking lot.

I park and we get out of the car.

"Hey, good luck on your exam today." I said to Ashley before we went our separate ways.

I walked towards my locker. I noticed Hayden walking in my direction. She noticed me and her head down attempting to avoid me.

I really did scare her, didn't I?

As she walked passed me I could hear her sigh in relief.

Zach and Jonah met me at my locker. "So what are we doing tonight?" Zach asked. "What do you mean?" I replied opening my locker.

"It's Friday?" Jonah said in a 'duh' tone.
"Oh-um. I don't know. I was just thinking of staying in tonight. You guys go have fun." I
said closing my locker and walking to class.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

The bell rang for lunch and I walked out of class.

I went to my locker to put my stuff away but none of the boys were there. I was confused.

I walked into the cafeteria and scanned the room. They were nowhere to be found. Still utterly confused, my gut tells me to check the parking lot.

And sure enough, there they were. Kicking someone.

I quickly ran closer to them. But as I came closer I realized that they were hurting Hayden.

"Guys stop!" I said in a panic. They looked at me with puzzled looks on there faces.

"Go to lunch." I said looking at them. And so they obeyed and went to lunch. I held out my hand to help Hayden up, she hesitated at first but took my hand.

She could barely stand. "You should take the rest of the day off." I said breaking the silence. "W-Why?" She asked.

"Because you should. Make sure to ice your ribs when you do get home." I said before walking back into the school.

[HAYDEN HARTE]

Leaving me very confused. Corbyn walked back into the school.

Why did Corbyn stand up for me?

I went back into the school and went to my locker. I grabbed my bag and I swung it onto my shoulder.

Mistake.

I winced in pain due to my aching ribs.

I took my bag off from my shoulder and just held in my hands. I closed my locker, walked down the hallways and out the doors.