In His Absence

Back in Ilse, an unnatural silence descended on the packhouse. The lingering silence and the weight of guilt has been clouding the pack for a couple of days now. Iker has left like many of them have wanted and yet, there was a silence that was so piercing that Ahem was the only thing holding Cris together.

"You know, he doesn't do well in unfamiliar places. Always ends up in the corner and a loner. One time when we all left for high school and he and Zal were constantly fighting. So dad changed his school. He would drag his feet every day and be a brat. One day I went to give him food and I never sent him back there. He was sitting in a corner watching other's play and then a couple of kids bullied him and he still didn't say anything." said Cris.

Ahem ran his hand through Cris' long hair and smiled.

"My mom will see him as her own son," said Ahem.

"Of course, I am not worried about that. She raised you. I can see. I - just, Avadh is known for his temper and so is Iker. Also, they are both Alphas. I just miss my kid is all. He is my kid you know. And I - I did not stand up for him that day," said Cris.

"As an alpha, you couldn't have said anything. I understand why you didn't say anything. I was also here when you tore them a new one. And Avadh- well, he lives for the people and duties, which kind of worries me too. But I think Iker will change him and maybe Avadh can give Iker all he wants and deserves, " said Ahem.

________________

Zal was feeling restless. He glared at the empty seat next to him at the breakfast table and he couldn't eat much.

He grabbed the raspberry jam. He did not like it much but Iker did. So he always used to fight for it. And today no other hand was grabbing it back like the last couple of days and Zal lost it.

He threw the jam's container onto the wall and ran out and ran into the forest. He absolutely hated Iker. Hated him. But he had never lived without Iker, the annoying brat. He was always there. When they were young, Zal absolutely adored Iker. He was the big brother in all the classes and Iker would never question his decisions. Somehow, when they grew up, they absolutely hated each other.

Zal ran and ran. Zal had become jealous seeing how Cris doted on him. He had not been just jealous though. He was also sad, seeing his mom's sadness. His friends had said Iker is not his full brother and some of his family said Iker made his mom sad and his young mind had believed them.

He remembers young Iker coming running to him when the bullies chased him. He was only ten then and Iker had hidden behind Zal hugging him close. 

Zal had defended him all other times. But the night before his mother was crying and his uncle had said it was because of Iker. That was one prominent memory in his mind. He had pushed away Iker. He has never done that before. He would always chase the bullies. But that one time, he remembers leaving him with the bullies. He remembers looking back. He remembers seeing the look of shock and fear in Iker's face. He also remembers how Iker was taken covered in blood to the nearest hospital. His wolf was then yet to fully manifest and so the wounds left by the bullies were too much. He was carried in Cris' arms.

He had been in the hospital for a week. Zal had cried himself to sleep every night. Usually, he had Iker around. Iker would be colouring or reading when Zal ran around and made a lot of noise. Iker never spoke to him after that for a month. He didn't even look at him. And the child in him wanted some reaction. He started hurting Iker. He became the bully in a sense. But Iker changed after that. Iker was then moved to another school when they ended up hitting each other. But that did not last for long and he was soon brought back.

Gradually, the old sad little Iker who was the silent child was gone. He was still silent but he also never ever bowed to anyone ever again. He has never seen him getting bullied again.

Iker stopped being something. He became something else. He still couldn't believe how his family could send Ike to some far off land with the most dangerous and powerful man on the planet. It is true that Iker is a very powerful man, but this was bloody King they have let him go with. It is not that he cared or anything. Iker was, whatever his other traits, a person who took care of his family. He deserved the best.

--------------------------------------------------

Hale looked at Iker's room. It was almost empty. Everything, furniture to his things, everything was in there. It was still empty. There was a picture of Iker that he himself had put on the wall some time back. Iker has taken everything personal. Nothing of his was left behind.

Hale was still beating himself up for not standing up for Iker. He had been too speechless to say anything. Anything at all and now Iker was gone. He was now thousands of miles away, in another part of the globe with his mate. He had not even looked at Hale when he left. He wanted to meet his kid brother and be there for him. 

It was Iker's room. It will always be even though he knew Iker won't be coming back, at least not permanently. Hale stood there, leaning on the door, silent.  

"He has taken a lot with him, hasn't he," asked Algernon who came there then.

"Yes dad, he is gone too, if you haven't noticed," snapped Hale before he stormed off.

Algernon stood there. He knew he has not done fair by his mate or his son. 

In the pic : Zal