The Choices He Made

"When did you bewitch me?" asked Viraat as he strangled the witch.

"You remember fucking me in the pub the day you broke off with your sexy mate. I bewitched you when you fell asleep babe and now, you are going to be my first sacrifice. All I did was just prompt and encourage a few things. You really are a brat who needs everything when he asks for it, which is why your anger helped," said the witch as she waved the wand and thick silver ropes rounded him. Avadh reduced them to ashes.

"Go check on Zal. I have a bad feeling and take Hale and Iker with you," as he pulled Viraat away.

"But - " started Iker.

Avadh turned to him and the glare silenced Iker. Avadh breathed out and pulled Iker to him and kissed him on his lips and then looked at him.

"Go," he said. Iker huffed but nodded.

Avadh saw Hale following Vansh as he fought the battalion of witches and wizards.

"I will send him soon. Go, you both need to be away from here," said Avadh

Both left with Viraat who fought off everything that came his way.

He ran up the stairs and reached Zaleno's room. He opened it to see Zaleno lying on his bed. He was wearing the suit, apparently ready for the marriage. But, somehow, he seemed asleep. There was so much negative energy around him clouding him. Viraat entered the inner layer and saw no movement.

Ma gasped as she stood at the door.

"Oh my god, what did they do to my kid," she cried as she shook Zaleno.

"He has gone into a coma," said Hale silently. 

"What?" asked Iker.

"When a wolf's heart breaks, they go into a coma. Often they die because only when a mate leaves does they have a heartbreak," said Algernon.

"Maybe this is moon goddess paying me back for staying between you and your mate," said Katherine crying.

Iker looked at her.

"What are you saying, mom? I know you did not stand between them. It was the stupid pack rules. Why are you even thinking like that? Zalen is going to wake up," said Iker hugging her.

Katherine just sobbed on her Iker's shoulder.

-----------------------------------------------------

There was nothing healers could do for Zaleno. Down in the yard, Avadh held a sword with poison over the witch's head.

"Did you do anything to Zal?" asked Viraat.

"Oh, nothing. It is just you who did everything to your Zal," snorted the witch.

"Why me? Why?"

"Told you, an in. You were so absorbed in all your mating shit you did not even ask me about my mate and even wasted the tragic story I cooked up specifically for you. But well, bringing down the Alwars is way more important than my petty worries," said Alissa.

She then looked at Avadh.

"Your pretty  Iker was my first on the list to off," she said

Avadh's sword slashed her neck and he turned. He stood like a wrathful god as he looked at her body and then at the remaining mages.

"Wrong thing to say. Those who want to live, mages, rogues, vampires or lone wolves, it is better if you take it into your thick skulls now that, you never even spare a thought for my Iker because I will ensure that it is the last thought you ever had," said Avadh.

------------------------------------

Viraat sat on Zal's room. He knew he had made his choices. He knew he has probably lost Zal forever. A month, Viraat sat on his bedside for a whole month. Zal was not moving. He would remember the sweet moments they shared every day.

...............Viraat had woken up first. Zal was using him as a pillow, his hand tight on Viraat's shirt. Zal woke up after some time and his cheeks went red realising what he did.

"You really don't have to worry. I don't kiss and tell," teased Viraat.

Zal scowled and slammed the pillow on Viraat and got up. He turned once to look at Viraat's face and then he lowered his head and kissed on Viraat's cheek and turned and walked off.................

Zal loved sketching. Viraat had been banned from opening any of these books and now they lay there on the draw. He had opened them to keep some medicines.

Curiosity stood above propriety in his list, so he took the book and opened it. It had portraits of family members. It had a beautiful picture of Iker hugging Avadh, Hale running along with Vansh, Atrey reading as he lays on the sofa, Ma with her hands on her hip, Arav with Tara held above his head by his arms as Piya looked on exasperated. Then, he saw a sketch of Ahem and Cristian, of Valen, Terrence and his family and many other familiar people. There was no sketch of his.

Another sketchbook had a warning symbol too. 'Do not touch' it read.

Viraat opened the book.  'HIM' it read on the front page. Then, the next page had a picture of him sleeping. Viraat never realised how innocent and carefree he looked in sleep.

There was a note on the side.

"My mister likes to sleep a lot. He is practically in love with the bed."

The next page again had a picture of him. He was jogging in it. Page after page it was just him. Then, the picture that made Viraat cry was in the middle.

It was the picture Zal drew when - when Viraat came out of bath that day- when they finally- when he finally broke up. The date was marked above.

It had Viraat sit on a sofa. Zal was in his arms, closely fitting in onto Viraat's frame. There was a baby asleep in their arms in the picture. Viraat felt his tears fall non-stop and he just curled into himself.

----------------------------------------------

Healers from far way lands also came to check on Zaleno. Nothing was working on Zal. Viraat would tell him everything that happened in the house. He sat there looking at Zal's face. He would run his hand fondly though Viraat's hair as he sat there, hoping, praying.

-----------------------------------------

Love you all, you all showed a lot of love for this story.Thank you