Roses and Thorns

Iker was ready to pull out his hair. He glared at the newest mother hen in town. Avadh did not have the decency to be at least apologetic at the glare. He was also standing his ground.

"I mean it Iker, you are not going into the woods. I don't care about any reason you all have cooked up. It's a no," said Avadh.

"I am pregnant, not incapacitated. You can't ask me to not do anything," snapped Iker.

"As a matter of fact, I can and I will. I am not going to risk you or our child because the pack had a fancy for a bloody day out in the woods," said Avadh.

Iker did not say anything after that. He just silently sat on the bed. After 3 hours of silence, Avadh gave in.

"There is no need to be - Why are you silent?" asked Avadh.

"It is not like, me saying anything matters. What matters to you is what you want and think. Keep doing it," said Iker holding a pillow close to him.

Avadh sighed. He sat near Iker and smiled.

"You know I am just worried. Iker, if you really want to do it, I will also be coming. I- I will have to cancel a day's meetings. Give me some time," said Avadh.

Iker looked at Avadh.

"You could have just said that in the first place. I would not have had to waste my energy being angry at you," huffed Iker and hugged Avadh around his waist.

Avadh smiled.

"The very thought of you outside the palace when I am not there is not sitting well with me. Alpha Cristian had warned me about this. It is the 'Father's agony '. I am just going to keep being a, what did you call me- mother hen," said Avadh.

Iker shook his head smiling.

"I know. I will try not to worry you more," he said.

______________

Viraat came out of the bath. He saw Zal look up and smiled.

Zal gave a small smile and looked down onto the book he was reading. Viraat went and sat next to him. Zal's cheek turned red. He was now more aware of Viraat's presence.

"Will you - will you ever trust me?," asked Viraat. Slowly he was losing hope.

Zal looked up.

"I mean, I will wait- of course, just- I am losing hope that you might someday forgive me- you know. I can totally understand-I," Viraat broke off.

Zal leaned onto Viraat. But Viraat got up.

"Don't do that to me, please. It is almost like you throwing a bone at me. I - Zaleno it's not fair to me. I maybe- maybe we should just- You know I was smiling like an idiot at you and its all these cold controlled responses, I- Maybe moon goddess did make a mistake with us. I mean, it has been six months and I don't even remember one moment where you were just yourself.  I think we should stop this. I know we will need proximity, but let us live our lives- I need contact, affection and a lot more. You just behave like a stone. I am done trying to win your trust. We are done, I am sorry. I deserve something more than this," said Viraat and walked out.

Zal sat there. A teardrop slid down his eyes. His mate has rejected him. Zal wiped his eyes. He could feel his wolf breaking. He got up and washed his face. He went down to mom and asked for another room. She was surprised but gave him a key. He just hugged her and cried.

"I am going to-

"No, I am forbidding anyone in this palace from talking for me to him, bindingly," said Zal.

"You can't do that- Zalen-" started Iker.

"No," said Zal. The words were binding and no one would be able to go against it as it concerned Zal and his mate.

"But-" started Avadh.

"No brother, my word stands," said Zal.

-----------------------------------

None of Viraat's family was talking to him. But he was too tired to care. He was so done. He wants to feel something, passion, affection - something, anything!

Alissa is a girl he used to sleep with occasionally. She has a crush on him. He knew that. He did not care, not really. He was spending time with his friend circle after a long time and when she came up to him, he did not push her away. She did not smell sweet, she did not smell like home, but that will have to do. He has made his decision and he was going to follow through.

He was not sure if Zal would feel a thing, he was not sure he cared if Zal did. Anyway he will smell her on him and nothing would change. Absolutely nothing. It was not like they had something other than the partial mating marks.

Viraat fucked her. When he left she asked if they could meet again for a coffee and he said yes.

__________________

Zal turned a bit on his bed. A silent tear slid down his eyes as he pulled the comforter tightly around him. He was okay. He will be fine and he was right in not giving in.

___________________

Viraat rarely saw Zal. When they did see, Zal never looked at his face. It hurt at first and then he grew numb to it.

When Ahem gave birth, they brought his nephew home for the family to see. Little Anthony was the cutest baby he has ever seen.  Cristian did not even look at his face and Ahem, incidentally Ahem who was all forgiving also chose to ignore him.

Viraat had brought Alissa with him. There was no reaction from Zal's part. Viraat was furious that he even lost his family to Zal. So he went down on his knees and proposed Alissa without even a ring. She jumped smiling and said yes and he looked at Zal to see his reaction, avoiding the shocked face of his family members. It was blank. The face was blank. His eyes were blank. They were not even looking at him. It was as blank as the wall he was staring at.

He knew Zal has forbidden anyone from saying anything, which only increased his anger. Viraat just kissed her in front of all and led her to his room. But, outside the door, he hesitated.

"Let's go somewhere else," said Viraat at the last moment and went back down. He heard Zal's room door close as he reached the steps.

____________

Okay, So, How many of you want to Murder Viraat and the author? And how many fell in love with Zal? Did you think you will get a detailed story for Zal?? Do you like where it is going? I will sort it all out and give them a suitable ending, but, that will have to wait.

pic : Viraat and Zaleno