But He is My Mate

Zal was not sure if he wanted to see Viraat. He was feeling numb. When his brothers took him out for a day out, he went. They even encouraged him to interact with possible companions. Well, Cristian encouraged him, others were just happy with whatever Zal chose.

He rarely saw Viraat. He knew the man was in the house. He could feel it. He had only got one sentence out of his mate 'Live your life how you want it, I am not going to hold you back with this bond".

Zal was not sure if he wanted to do it even when he let a guy at the bar buy him a drink. His name is James. He seemed like a nice guy, a blonde. Zal smiled at his jokes and danced with him. He had a good time. Two weeks after waking up, he was feeling the need for companionship and friendship and the need to talk.

Zal did not realise that he was speaking more about his family and Viraat than himself. But James was a nice guy and listened. He was human and Zal did not mind that either. Cristian meanwhile arranged a date for them which they went on.

________________

Before he went on the trip, however, Zal came to Ahem.

"Did you see him by any chance?," asked Zal.

Ahem shook his head.

"Okay, just tell him if he - forget it," said Zal with a small smile and left.

Ahem looked at Cristian.

"You are not doing right. He was at least able to see Viraat here and there in the palace. Now you had asked him to stay away and let Zal make something for himself. You think this is going to work? Booking a picnic, really Alpha Cristian-"

"You would say that. He is your brother. And my brother's happiness is more important to me than anything else. James seems to be a nice guy. Zal will be happy at least," said Cristian and regretted it the moment he said it.

Ahem did not say anything. His face went blank.

"Yeah, Cristian, after all, I have always shown a differentiation between yours and mine," said Ahem.

"Ahem, I didn't mean it like that," said Cristian but Ahem did not respond.

___________________

Viraat was okay. He knew he will not have Zal in his life. He knew it was his choices and he was okay. He just wished he made different choices sometimes.

_____________________

Cristian looked at Ahem who had their little Anthony asleep in his arms. Ahem's eyes looked red. Cristian took the baby and laid him down on the crib. He sat down on his knees in front of Ahem.

Ahem was not looking at him.

"I am so sorry Ahem, I didn't mean it. I know you love them all equally. I am just too worried. It is not that I hate Viraat. How can I? He is my brother too. They almost killed each other and the whole family. Zal just woke up from the death bed. I - "

Ahem looked at him and saw his tired face and got down and sat face to face with Cristian.

"I know. I understand. It's just- they are mates Cristian. We can't dictate what they do. It has been 3 months since I spoke to Viraat. I don't even know what went bad between them. No one does. But I can see their longing looks," said Ahem

"I can too. That's why I asked Viraat to leave Zal be. I shouldn't have. I know," said Cristian.

Ahem just held Cristian close to his chest.

"I can feel you mourning for both of them. You forget that even our mind is one. Cristian, you forget that I know. I know Alpha, I don't blame you. None of us want to see them in pain," said Ahem.

A teardrop slid down Cristian's face and Ahem held him.

"I have been looking for him, He is not in the house," said Cristian.

"Don't you dare cry you idiotic Alpha. He will come home soon," said Ahem.

____________

Iker had his head on Avadh's lap. Avadh was slowly running his hand through Iker's hair.

"I don't think James is going to work out," said Iker.

Avadh nodded.

"Zal loves Viraat and its visible to all of us. But, letting them go on their ways is what we can do for them now," said Avadh.

"Oh, my wise man," said Iker fondly.

Avadh scoffed.

_________________

Hale was silent as he laid in Vansh's arms.

"They will be fine," said Vansh.

Hale nodded.

"Hopefully"

_________________

Meanwhile, James was making Zal laugh like anything. Zal just shook his head amused.

"So, Zal- I just wanted to ask you something. I kind of really like you and I know you are a werewolf, it doesn't really matter to me. I would really like it if, I know its too soon for a proper engagement, just a promise ring?" asked James.

Zal was silent for a moment.

"Okay- I, James"

James had the ring in his hand. He took Zal's hand in his. He was about to slide in the ring but Zal took his hand away.

"I am sorry James, I can't. I would be cheating you and myself. My Alpha, he is an idiot at times, but he is my Alpha. I- I can't see me giving myself to anyone other than him. I know I led you on. I liked your company, the friendship we have, but the moment you try to touch me, I can't. I just can't," said Zal.

"But, he- he hurt you Zal. This mating mark has to mean nothing" said James.

"I have hurt him too. I have treated him like a doormat for the first six months, I have. I was so angry and jealous. I drove him away. We have hurt each other. And irrespective of that, he - he is it for me. And this mating mark, it means everything to me. I know it may take years for us to sort out our issues, but I am okay with that. Because I am his home like he is mine and I am sure we will find our way to each other," said Zal.

James had a small smile on his face.

"Do you think I am an idiot to propose you in a couple of weeks of hanging out together throughout which you were refusing all my advances? I know where and to whom your heart belongs to. You have said Viraat at least 5 times in half an hour in all our conversations. I just wanted you to speak what you actually felt. Did you even hear what you just said? Forget it, you told me how you feel about him. Have you ever told him?" asked James.

Zal stood there shell-shocked.

He then shook his head.

"Exactly. That is your problem. You never told him anything from what I understand," said James.

"Now, go home and tell him how you feel and start working on your life already," said James

Zal just looked at the guy.

"Are we still friends?"

"Of course we are. But Zal, I do have a small crush on you. But I know even if things don't work out between you both now or later, your heart will still belong to him. So I am just leaving. Anyway I have the internship to attend," said James.

"I hope I am not making you flee, but all the best, James and you are right. Even if it takes years, I am just going to wait and work towards making me and him alright," said Zal

James nodded and pecked on Zal's forehead, cheek and stole a peck from his lips before he left.

Zal shook his head amused wiping away the guy's kiss childishly. James was a good friend. Now, he has to go find his Alpha and confess a few things.

_____________

Okay, so same-sex relationships has been DECRIMINALISED in my country today. The landmark Supreme Court verdict means change for this country and a repressed society. The archaic rule was lifted straight out of the colonial rulebook by our dear 'nationalist' leaders when Independent India was formed. Now, we are free of the seriously stupid Article 377.