A Couple

Avadh was getting ready to leave for a pack meeting the outskirts of the royal land. Iker was agitated. He did not like it at all when Avadh went to that far, considering the last time he had to run with the injured man in his wolf form.

Avadh smiled inwardly seeing Iker's angry face as they had breakfast.

"You do realise, I fell that day because I was weak due to lack of energy and of course the deception," said Avadh.

Iker scowled.

"We should just have mated and you wouldn't have been weak. You were being drained," said Iker.

"I was not pointing my fingers at you. I do drain myself often by overworking. And since we were unmated, I think I was being punished," said Avadh.

Iker growled.

"You better stay safe. I am not running after you every single time. You are supposed to be infallible," said Iker.

Avadh did smile at that.

"No one is infallible, Iker, not even the King," said Avadh.

Iker huffed, but let Avadh bring him close and kiss him on his head.

Once Avadh left, Iker helped Ma sort out the issues with the pack house. Vansh was back with the family and the moment his hand went for the drinks, Iker and Atrey would be on spot, glaring him down much to his dismay.

Arav's daughter Tara, never left Iker's side much to his dismay. The kid has taken a liking to her uncle and would follow him around like a puppy. So, Iker relented and would carry her around.

Iker even dropped her at the kindergarten sometimes. He would then deal with important files that have to go through him for his business. Then he as the Alpha King's husband had a lot of responsibilities including pack welfare and keeping the pack peace.

Iker was going through some documents when Avadh got back. This was usual for them now. They were slowly coming out of their shells at least to each other. Everyone in the palace was happy for them.

-------------------------------------

Iker smiled seeing Avadh's face as he got ready for a one day trip. He will have to stay away one night. Avadh did not ask him to not go, but the man's face looked like a cloud since last night.

Right now, he was biting off everyone's head. He was slamming the doors of the cupboard when Iker almost laughed. Avadh sat down. Iker went and sat near him.

"I will be fine, you know. I am not a kid and this is not the first time I am going on a business trip," said Iker.

Avadh looked at him.

"I was not- he broke off and threw the file in his hand and said, "Is it necessary that you go?" 

Iker lifted the man's face and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "You know, I have to show I trust them by entering their territory. And you - we need all the allies we can have. I have learned it the hard way," said Iker.

Avadh nodded. 

"Be safe," said Avadh.

Iker smiled. "I will be," he said.

----------------------------------------------------

Iker finished the deal and stayed in his room going through the documents for the discussion next day. He was thinking about Avadh. He should be back home by now. It is late as it is.

Ma would be running around Atrey and Tara now that Iker was not there to do it. Arav and Vansh will be laughing at it like the immature idiots they are when his sister in law looked at them in exasperation. He also worried about Zal and Viraat. Hopefully, things were going well for them. Cris and Ahem were happy and that was all he wanted. Then there is Hale, loving Hale who is yet to meet his mate. And of course, Ethan. Iker missed his brother. 

Meanwhile, Avadh got home. The absence of his mate got to him after some time. He growled as he looked at their empty rooms and went down. 

"When is Uncle Ike going to be back," he heard his niece pout.

"Tomorrow. Don't worry he will bring you a lot of sweets," he heard Piya reply.

Avadh couldn't stay here. So he changes form and ran.

Iker was in the balcony looking on into the direction of the palace. He gaped when he saw his own golden wolf standing at the edge of the forest. Avadh changed into human form and Iker blushed bright red at the thought of Avadh coming all the way for him.
Avadh walked in and was greeted by Iker and almost hugged the life out of him. He smiled and held Iker in his arms.

"So what made you show up?" asked Iker.

"Well, Anyway, I will hear the calls wherever I am and it's not too far, so- " said Avadh.

"Yeah, it's only a thousand miles," snorted Iker.

"Now, I need some sleep. Will you be kind enough to let me have it?" asked Avadh.

Iker glared at him, but let the man have a bit of sleep. Once Avadh laid down, Iker also settled on the bed.

Next morning, they together took part in the discussion and left back home.

What greeted them at home was horrific. While the family members all looked safe, some of the guards were dead. Shredded into pieces. One pack at the end of the woods was annihilated.

"They saw you leave King, We thought we will be able to handle it ourselves," said one of his guards.

Avadh saw Iker tend to the people. He was caring in his own way. His mate was safe. Avadh had been selfish. He had run to Iker. If he had not, this wouldn't have happened. He had been living in the bliss of his mating and marital bond with Iker. He had not been doing his duty. He had forgotten his responsibility because Iker is the best thing that has happened to him. He had been letting go.