chapter 7

The Huntress ran down the cold, desolate streets of the city, looking back over her shoulder every so often to see if the rogues had found her, she saw nothing behind her, but as her eyes shifted forward once again there was a dark figure in her path, she skidded to a halt, the rogue bared his bloody fangs at her and hissed. She turned to run the other direction but another rogue was blocking her path, she made a slow turn to see she was surrounded by four rogues, blood dripping from their fangs onto their ivory skin.

 She crouched low, ready to fight, she pulled a silver laced whip from its hook on her hip, one of the four rogues lunged for her as the other three watched, she ducked as the rogue flew over her head and landed on top of another rogue. They hissed and scratched at one another, they were so blood driven that they attacked one another, killing themselves, two rogues down two to go, The Huntress mentally calculated.

 The whip uncoiled at her side, ready to lash out at any rogue who got in its way, one rogue stepped aside so that the other could lash out and try to drain her of her blood, but The Huntress was too fast for it, she lashed out with her whip and struck the rogue across the stomach, leaving a long trail of blood oozing out of the wound, he hissed and tried to attack again but his movements were slow due to the silver in the whip. The Huntress pulled one of her daggers out and threw it at the rogue, he tried to doge the flying dagger but he was to slow, the silver already draining his strength, the dagger plunged into the rogues heart stopping its life before it understood what happened, he fell to the ground withering in pain before turning to ash and blowing away in the chilled wind of the night.

The Huntress picked up her dagger and turned to the last remaining rogue, he stood in the middle of the street staring at her, like he was waiting for something, his long cape like coat flapped in the wind the swirled around them, his stormy gray eyes calculating as he watched her, his mouth curved into a sinister smile, before The Huntress knew what happened she was pressed up against the wall the rogue only inches from her neck, she stilled with the realization that he moved to fast to be just any normal rogue, he had to be a noble, she thought, he hissed at her, she hissed back, the rogue chuckled.

 “What do we have here” he asked, his smile making her sick as he leaned even closer to her, she tried to lean away from him but because of the wall behind her she had nowhere to go, she was stuck, and she hated it. The rogue knew she hated it because he pressed her harder against the wall making her closer her eyes briefly because of the pain shooting up her spine.

 “You are The Huntress, are you not” the rogue asked, she hissed at him, he just chuckled.

 “If you want to become a vampire all you have to do is ask, I would be happy to turn you, my dear” he said as he dipped his head towards her neck. She hissed again and brought her knee up to his chest and pushed, trying to throw him off her, he grunted but didn’t move, she pushed again, and this time he moved back a little, just enough for her to be able to move her hands so she could grab her daggers she plunged one into his shoulder, but before she could deliver the death blow he pulled back out or her reach, releasing her from his hold. She took a few deep breaths to calm her racing heart, then lunged forward trying to stab the rogue, but he disappeared. She turned in circles trying to find him, suddenly he appeared right in front of her, she was too shocked to move.

 “I have a message from my master” he said calmly, his smile gone as he stared at her, she nodded, telling him to continue.