chapter 11

This time when The Huntress awoke she was alone in a white room, she tried to sit up but pain seared her neck, she laid back down, as stared at the white plaster ceiling the door to her room opened and she turned her head to see who had entered, reflexively she reached down for her dagger, but as she stared into the eyes of Matthew she relaxed her hand and smiled weakly at him. He stood frozen at the door as he watched her, after she had moved her hand from the dagger he walked over and started to lift her cloth to look at her neck again, then sighed and released the cloth, it fluttered back down onto her neck.

“You should be fine, no permanent damage was done to your vocal cords or throat, the muscles will be soar for a few days, and there will be some nasty bruises on your neck for a awhile, but you should be fine, you can leave later today”. The Huntress nodded and watched as he sat in the chair, that sat next to her bed, he put his elbows on his knees and put his chin in his hands, his lab coat was wrinkled in some places and his hair was a mess.

 “I’m sorry” The Huntress hoarsely whispered, his head snapped up out of his hands when he heard her voice, he got up and knelled beside her.

 “No, I’m sorry,  I should have gotten there sooner, I heard that you were back and I heard all the noise in the library, but I didn’t go in, and I can’t help but think if I had gone in, I could have saved you from his temper, he didn’t mean to hurt you, after you left the night before he was so worried about you that he didn’t feed, and that made his temper really short, and all the stress of the war was put on him and his father. Just give him time and a chance and I think you could be happy with him” Matthew said as he stood.  The Huntress grabbed his arm.

 “What do you mean, happy with him” she asked, he looked down at her.

 “He is your beloved, your mate” he said, The Huntress shook her head.

 “No, he is dangerous and controlling, he could have killed me last night” she said, he shook his head.

 “No, he would have stopped himself, he has really good control over his blood lust, it’s just that he hadn’t feed in three days, he is a kind man, he would never hurt you” Matthew said, she shook her head again.

 “I can’t trust him, I just can’t, not after that” she said, her voice shaking slightly, Matthew sighed.

 “He is your beloved, he is yours” he said, then he turned and left.

 “Get some sleep, he will be here to pick you up in a few hours” Matthew said, the door swung shut with a soft click behind him. The Huntress shut her eyes and listened to the silence around her, slowly letting it lull her to sleep. A few hours later The Huntress jerked awake by the sounds of her own mothers screams, she lay in the darkness a cold sweat trickling down her spine, she slowly sat up, breathing hard, she scanned the room, the lights were out and it took her eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness, but as she looked around she found she was in the same white room as before, the medical equipment still sat to the left of her bed, the chair still sitting there untouched, other than that, the room was bear, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching her form the shadows, waiting for something, but what, her thoughts were interrupted by the bright fluorescent lights flickering on, making her yelp and squeeze her eyes shut, then slowly open them again to see Prince Lucas’s worried face staring at her.

 His black t-shirt was missing, all he had on were some long black silk pants, she tried to look away from the vampire in front of her, but something stopped her. Her eye scanned him from his perfectly messy white blond hair, down past his silver eyes and strong jaw to his wide chest and down to his well defined stomach, but as he gaze slid lower she realized what she was doing and looked down at her hands clasped tightly in her lap, she was thankful that Matthew had left her cloth on so he couldn’t see her blush.

 “Are you ok, I heard your heart rate speed up” Prince Lucas said, a little breathless. The Huntress looked over at him, but couldn’t meet his eyes, instead she stared at his bare feet as she nodded, telling him she was fine, there was no way she was going to tell him about the night mares that had plagued her since she was little, she had never gotten a peaceful night’s sleep since her mother’s death, but he didn’t need to know, that did? She she shook her head, no, he didn’t need to know that.

 “Are you sure your ok” he asked again as he stepped forward, she tensed as he came closer and closer to her, she nodded again, hopping he would leave her alone, but he kept coming closer to her. He sat on the side of the bed as he stared at her, she once again stared down at her hands, she jumped when his hand laid over hers then lifted to her chin, gently lifting her eyes to his.

 “What’s wrong” he whispered, she shook her head again, he sighed.

 “Listen, I’m sorry for what I did, I didn’t mean it, I wasn’t myself, I hadn’t feed and I was weak in control at that point, but I did mean what I said, you are my beloved and I don’t want to lose you, I will never hurt you, please, I’m so sorry” he pleaded with her, she stared at him. What was she going to do, she couldn’t forgive him, she can’t, he almost killed her, no, no matter how much she wanted to be his, she couldn’t. She shook her head.

 “I can’t forget what you did, you almost killed me” she whispered, her voice was still weak. He sighed and looked down at her hands, releasing her chin he gently grasped her hands in his, and felt a pang of hurt and self hatred as she flinched away from his touch.

 “I will never hurt you, you mean everything to me, please, just give me a chance” he begged, she was silent for what felt like an eternity before answering.

 “You have already hurt me, your majesty” she said softly as she pulled her hands from his, he sighed and got up from the bed.

 “I will have someone show you to your room, you will live here, you are free to come and go as you please” he looked down at The Huntress “just think about it for a while, I can wait” he said softly as he walked out of the room.

 “Goodnight, someone will be here in the morning to show you your room” he said as he pulled the door shut, the soft click the door made as he shut it echoed through the room. As she heard his retreating footsteps fade into the distance she let her tears fall, she hadn’t cried in six years, but now, as she lay in the silence of the room wishing he had stayed to hold her, she let herself cry herself to sleep, unaware that in his room on the other side of the palace, Prince Lucas was also crying, crying for the heartbroken girl he had left alone in an empty hospital room.

vote

comment