Chapter 15.

"Hunter?" I hear my dad call me.

He's finally back from work.

"Yeah dad, in the kitchen," I say as I make a sandwich. He walks inside the kitchen, still dressed in his work uniform, a navy blue jumpsuit. The dark circles under his eyes show that he could not sleep too much last night.

"Hey honey, I'm sorry I got home so late, I had a delivery at the other end of Portland very late last night, I was so tired and I didn't want to risk driving back home during the dangerous hours," he says. It's too dangerous anyway, the roads after 12 are filled with drunk teenagers and what not.

"It's okay," I say, and I put my sandwich in a plastic bag.

"Well, I heard everything about the window yesterday, I got a call from the police, are you okay, are you hurt?" he asks, making sure. Resting the back of his hand on my forehead.

"Dad, I don't have a fever," I laugh, "and yes, I'm fine, nothing happened to us," I say, indicating the presence of another person, Four, being with me during what happened.

"Us?"

"Yeah, Four remember?", I say.

"Oh yeah, that boy, what were you guys up to when it happened?"

"Just homework, we have a project in English that we have to finish," I say. The bad thing is that neither of us finished it. I'll have to finish my part tonight, and probably his because he most likely he won't do it.

"Oh okay, how did you sleep last night? I really regret not being able to make it home. You must've been so afraid, could they not have brought a cop to look after the area?", he sounds a bit frustrated.

"I slept well," I say, and leave it at that. I don't want to tell him that Four stayed over, or that I heard something during the night. Honestly I don't know how he would react.

"I saw what you put on the window, to keep the water out, it was a good idea, I'll call the insurance company today, they should stop by tomorrow to put in a new window," he says.

"Tomorrow? Can't they do it today?" I ask. I would rather not spend another night without a window. Just thinking that someone could sneak into the house gives me the creeps.

"No, they're not open on Sundays, I'm sorry, we're gonna have to wait until tomorrow," he says.

What if someone actually was in my house last night? What if they come back tonight and try to attack us, or kidnap me? I put that thought out of my head.

I sound like a crazy paranoid person. I mean, what are the possibilities after what happened last year, that someone would come and try to kidnap me?

"Well, I have to go to work now, so, see you later" I say grabbing my bag and the food.

I work at pool every Sunday as a lifeguard. I also teach classes mainly to children and sometimes the elderly. Once an old lady slipped while getting into the pool and I had to save her. They gave me a reward that day and it was probably one of the best days of my life.

I go outside to the cold closing the door behind me. Surprisingly it's not raining outside. The streets are wet, but no rain. I get in the car and put on the heat. I hope my car doesn't die again like the other day, I don't leave work until eight and I rather not want to stay at the pool all night.

Anything could happen. There is no adjoining building, they are all roads and tall trees. If something happened, there would be nowhere to flee.

Once I start the car, I begin driving onto the road. I think about the time it takes me to go literally anywhere from my house.