Chapter 62.

Four point of view

Pick up piece after piece. Broken glass and garbage are scattered throughout my house.

If it weren't for my shoes, the soles of my feet would be mutilated. There are already pieces of glass embedded in the soles of my shoes. I'd rather not have to spend the day having to get them out of there.

If Hunter were here, she would probably do it for me, just like when I helped her pick up the broken glass in her house the first time I went there. I think back on that day. It was a series of unfortunate, lucky events.

First someone threw a stone through her window, breaking it into pieces, and then how I ended up spending the night with her.

I hope that whoever has been sending her  messages will leave since I am out of her sight.

When I go to pick up another garbage bag from the kitchen, a loud bang sounds at the front door. I leave the previous bag full and walk to the door.

When I open it, I am surprised to see who I am face to face.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, but my voice sounds weak and damaged.

"I think we need to talk." His voice is silent, but concise.

"Why?" I ask, still puzzled. Instead of answering my question, he makes his way inside my house, as if it were his own.

****

Hunter Four point of view.

His head turns slightly, so that his face is at an angle facing me, thus making it possible for me to see his exquisite appearance. His tall, defined body rests loosely against the trunk of the tree and his expression suggests that he wants me to see him.

When his eyes meet mine, his grimace becomes a bite on his lower lip seductively. His eyes are locked on mine, and he looks at me as if he were going through me, as if he were seeing my soul.

"Four?" I whisper as if he could hear me, even though he is more than several meters away from me.

Without even leaving enough time to process the thought that he is really here, my legs react for me, leading me in his direction. Walking becomes a jog, ending in a race. It's weird, because it seems like it's a strange image. It shines and every angle of it has this smooth appearance.

The closer I am to him, the more transparent he seems, almost as if he were disappearing right in front of my eyes. A few more meters. I quickly count my steps when I am reaching him, but just as I am about to arrive to see if he is real, he disappears before my fingers.

As soon as I get in touch with him, it vanishes before my own eyes, as if it were a figment of my imagination.

"Four?" I call out. I turn several times, to see if maybe he would run, as if we were playing a game, but I don't see him anywhere. All I see is the rain falling around me and the thick forest surrounding the small cemetery.

A small tear leaves my eyes, slips down my cheek, and falls to the ground. Another follows right after, followed by more and more tears. In seconds, my cheeks are soaked with tears.

They intermingle with the rain that falls on and around me. He won't come back, a small voice in my head tells me. He doesn't want us to be together. My legs weaken under my body and I find myself on my knees, picking up the grass that is under my fingers, tearing its roots from the ground. My hair hangs down my face, leaving puddles everywhere.

Everything seems surreal. It's as if I could feel his presence around me, making the air thicker and filling it with poison, making it difficult for me to breathe.