Chapter 55.

In my consciousness I step back, but my feet do not move at all.

Reeve? This has to be a misunderstanding, in no way Reeve is the one who tried to kill Abbie.

Never, in a million years, would I have thought it was him, because he seems too sweet and too innocent to be a murderer.

Finally I fall back into reality and take a step towards the front of the store to pay for my gasoline. I hope Reeve will take more time checking things out and not see me because I would prefer not to face him face to face.

As soon as I'm about to pay for gas, someone touches my shoulder. I turn quickly and see Reeve standing behind me with a big smile on his face.

"Hey, Hunter.", he seems he's in a good mood. Whoever he was talking to on the phone should have given him good news.

"H-Hi, Reeve." My voice trembles when I speak. I want to keep our conversation brief and simple, but I have to try to act normal so that he doesn't suspect that I might hear something while I was talking on the phone.

"Twenty dollars to number three, please." I tell the clerk behind the counter.

"How have you been? I haven't seen you in something like a week." I laugh in my head. He saw me five days ago at the Welcome Dance, when he tried to kill me.

"Oh, I've been very busy lately with the school and work." I tell him and he nods.

"Yeah, I was planning to go back to the school to get some more credits before going to college, I know I'm nineteen and all that, but I guess I could still get some credits." he says casually. I almost choked on my own saliva. To return the school? He can't go back to school because it's most likely to end up in my own, he's the closest one in the area, and I don't feel comfortable going to classes with someone who is trying to kill me.

"Oh, don't you want to try one of the public universities instead? To be with people your age?" I ask, trying to sound as pleasant as possible.

"Nah, I'm only a couple of years older, anyway. He smiles, showing me his usual charming smile that I used to like. A smile can hide so many things.

"Well, I have to go, see you later, I guess," I say to Reeve, and grab my ticket from the counter.

"Okay, goodbye Hunter." He smiles back while I leave the store. Once I step outside, I feel like I can breathe again. I feel as if I have been drowning in that small space. As if Reeve was mentally drowning me, trying to kill me again.

I rush to my car and start filling the tank. Maywood is the only city in Oregon where you have to fill the tank yourself. Almost all other cities have employees who do it for you. Once the mouthpiece is in my car, I take out my phone and send a quick message to Four.

*I think I know who tried to kill Abbie at the dance, I've heard him on the phone before and I think it was-, Someone gives me a couple of taps on my shoulder and I drop my cell phone because of the intrusion. Fortunately it's a cheap phone, so it will not break. I turn around and see Reeve leaning over, retrieving my phone. He hands it to me with a smile. "Oh, thanks" I smile fakely.

"No problem, but you left this in the store, I don't know if it's important or something, but I thought I should give it back just in case." He hands me a small note of white paper. I open the note and recognize the numbers and letters of it. It's Four's prescription for his DID medication.

"Thank you" I say and put the paper back in my pocket. His white teeth stand out in his perfect and white smile. It would be nice to be friends if you weren't trying to kill me.