Chapter 45.

They finally let everyone return home after what seem like hours of questions, accusations and interrogations.

It's almost midnight and my feet are killing me, I'm glad I decided not to wear heels.

The police maybe weren't the kindest people, but again, the police never behave that way in front of a group of teenagers.

An ambulance took Abbie an hour ago to the nearest emergency room. She was very burned, but she will be fine. His skin was red and black, but they said she would get better.

Every event tonight seems surreal. The messages, Tyler, and now Abbie and the incident with the fire. Definitely not the kind of night I expected, but at least it was not the typical dance where everyone is expelled for using drugs and alcohol under influence.

I haven't seen Four since the moment before the little incident with Abbie. It's strange that he disappeared just before it happened, but I refuse to believe that it did.

He wouldn't have have the time to go behind the scenes and do it anyway. He was standing right next to me ...

"Goodbye Mack, I, um, see you on Monday," I say as she leaves with her date in a different car.

Slowly, the students line up outside the dance, almost all of them surprised and traumatized by the incident. It's similar to what happened last year, but not so bad. No one was kidnapped ...

"Wow, um, I do not even know-"

"Me neither," I say, cutting Matt off in the middle of the sentence. We both remain in shock after what we have just witnessed. Almost everyone is in shock. A couple of people came to vomit on the floor right in front of them. It was not the night everyone expected.

"You want to go home? I mean, we can go to my house and watch a comedy to clear our heads, I can always take you home later," suggests Matt. I think about it for a minute. We used to go out late into the night, staying up until three in the morning watching movies. I really don't want to go home right now. I know that my father and Mary are still awake, waiting for us to return home so we can tell them all the details.

"Yeah, um, okay, it sounds good," I tell him when we reach his car.

"Okay, I can just lend you a sweatshirt or something, or my mom has something you can wear" I just sat down and got into her car. I can't get the image of Abbie's body from my head. The way she was lying on the ground, burned and not moving. I can probably never get that image out of my head.

We drive on the road, on this cold autumn night, neither of us speaks. 'A night to remember' read one of the welcome dance posters. Well, it's definitely a night we'll all remember. Although I really don't like Abbie, I still feel bad about her being set on fire.

Some people say that it was an accident, that one of the spotlights had a fault and a spark fell on Abbie, but something tells me that it was no  accident.

A feeling tells me that everything was planned this night, but I don't know why the goal was Abbie? It made no sense.

My mind keeps taking me to Four. Some people were asking for him during the interrogations, to ask him questions, but he wasn't in any visible place. Maybe he became a suspect even. If he had stayed all night with me he wouldn't be.

I want to believe that it wasn't him, but I can't believe it completely because I don't have proof. I need to talk to him and ask him if he has done it. Only for a short minute do I need to talk to him.

"Matt?" I ask, just before taking the exit that takes us to his neighborhood.

"Yes?" his voice is slow and tired.