Chapter 5

They pair were dropped off in an unfamiliar area of Manhattan, unfamiliar to Natasha anyway. Clint took her hand in his own, twining together as though it were the most natural thing for them and began walking her through the jungle of twisting streets. They walked in a comfortable silence together, Clint allowing her to take in her surroundings; quiet streets and the light growing steadily darker as the sun dipped down just below the horizon of Manhattan’s city scape. They arrived at a small restaurant, lined with hedge rows sprinkled with fairy lights, leading them up to the doors. Clint held the door open for Natasha, over stating the gesture and making her giggle, whispering her thanks to him as she passed. It was a novelty to see her so relaxed. Once inside they were greeted by a charming young man, well Natasha thought he was charming at least, who was maybe only 23. The young boy’s eyes ghosted down over her body and then back up her eyes. He smiled devilishly at her, his eyes dark with need, a flicker of raw desire. She was beautiful and she knew it. She had been greeted with hungry stares like the one she was receiving for the most past of her life. It was the same sort of stare she would see from her targets right before she pulled a knife on them. Her body was a weapon and she knew exactly who to use it. This time, however, there wouldn’t be any need to stab the young boy unless he knew who she was - working for HYDRA or a member of the Red Room- and had intentions of his own. Then, of course, she would have no problem gutting him where he stood.

“Table for two?” He managed to choke out and the pair of assassins nodded together in unison. Clint wrapped his arm around the small of her back in a defensive manner. It would have been funny, watching the two of them stare each other down if she hadn’t felt Clint grasp the handle of the knife tucked into her garter belt. The gesture said that the boy had better watch where his eyes were looking.

“Yes, please,” Clint answered in a clipped tone that Natasha failed to supress a laugh at. She had never seen Clint so protective. Clint shot the young boy a warning glance, making him shift uncomfortably under her gaze. Natasha placed her hand on Clint’s arm and he softened his gaze fractionally. The young waiter led them to their table, taking their order for drinks before walking off quickly, muttering something under his breath as he went.

“Play nice, Clint,” Natasha teased once they were alone once more, a soft smile tugging at the corner of her lips. Natasha took note of the inside of the restaurant for the first time in that moment. It was small, as she had assumed it would have been from the outside but it was comfortably small without feeling restricting. The place had a theme of deep red, crimson that heald a exciting and some what sexual aura to it. Clint had picked the perfect place, she knew. It was so very Natasha.

“He was checking out my date,” he whined. “I’m not okay with that. He was practically undressing you with his eyes.” Natasha felt an unfamiliar flutter in her chest. She was his date. Never would she have thought that she would be sitting at dinner with Clint Barton. That wasn’t to say that she hadn’t imagined it a thousand times before.

“Hm, I'm your date,” she echoed. Their waiter returned with their glasses; two glasses of beautifully aged red wine. Natasha lifted her glass, swirling the crimson liquid in circles carefully before clinking it against the glass in Clint’s hand. He arched his eyebrow. “To the start, perhaps, of something wonderful.”

“To the start of something wonderful,” he echoed with a dreamy look in his eyes and his idiot crooked smile that Natasha had grown to love over the last few years together.

Returning once again, their waiter took their order for their meals, careful to ensure his eyes never lingered to long on Natasha again. Another hour, five glasses of wine and three courses of food later and they were ready to leave the restaurant. The evening had passed quickly, and from the moment they had sat down at their table the convesation hadn't stopped. They spoke of everything and anything, both just glad to be in one another's company out with missions and the Helicarrier. Clint took care of the bill and together they left but not before he shot one last murderous glare at the young waiter, who seemed to sink back into himself under his gaze. Their fingers wound together once more around the others and they set off down the now deserted streets of Manhattan. Clint had decided to take Natasha to a nearby park, not content with their night ending so early. It was a beautiful place at night with the moon light cascading down on the trees that covered the path and stray rays of light seeped through their branches. The moon light danced across Natasha's skin as we stood on the bridge, looking out over the river that flowed freely beneath their feet. Pulling Natasha close to him, their hands still resting in the others and her other free hand resting against his chest, he watched her close her eyes.

Natasha drew in a sharp breath before letting out a content sigh. “It has been a long time, too long, since I have been a date for my own reasons. I’m not out to gather Intel or to take out some oh-so-high-and-mighty old creep. I’m out to enjoy myself, with company I enjoy. Tonight, I’m not the Black Widow and I’m not Natalia Romanova. I’m here as Natasha for once.” Clint stayed silent, letting her go on. It wasn’t often that Natasha spoke out like this and Clint would be damned if he was going to cut her short. “It’s this line of work,” she continued, “There’s no privacy and very little down time. There is always someone else to be dealt with, always something else rising to power and posing a threat to the planet. It’s hard to relax, hard to trust people even if you know them. But you, Clint, there is none of that; I can relax even if it’s just a little and you’re the only person I trust fully.” Her hands twisted absentmindedly in his shirt. “You’ve saved my ass countless times, you know more about my past than anyone alive and yet here you are, on a date with the infamous Black Widow.”

“I’m not on a date with the infamous Black Widow. Just this girl, Natasha. Maybe you know her. I must say I’ve grown rather fond of her.”

Her gaze focused on her hand as she traced outlines of his muscles beneath his shirt but she slowly raised her gaze to meet his own. Catching his gaze, she smiled, her cheeks tinted rosy and slightly flustered from the wine. His free hand came up to caress her check, rubbing the pad of his thumb just below her eyes which were twinkling in the light. His gaze dropped to her blood red lips, plump and enticing. They were so close that their breath mixed and the sharp cinnamon like smell that was so typically Natasha was all he was able to smell. She closed her eyes and leaned her face in closer to his and he didn’t need to think about leaning in to meet her, closing the small gap between their waiting lips. Her lips were so gentle yet she kissed him with some force and a hint of urgency. Neither could believe that they had waited so many years for this to happen, that it had taken so long for them to have their first kiss together. Clint had known from that first day, the day he had been assigned as her executioner, that had was in over his head.

He hadn’t minded then and, even now, he still didn’t mind.

A soft moan escaped Natasha's lips as his tongue ran along her lips, a noise that made his breath catch in the back of his throat. Her phone began to ring, but she ignored it, not breaking away to check who it was that was calling her at such an hour. Her arms slipped around his neck and pulled him closer to her, deepening the kiss that was dripping with passion. As soon as Natasha's phone stopped ringing out, Clint’s began to ring immediately. With a groan he pulled away from her, just enough to reach his phone.

“Clint...” Checking the caller idea on his phone and seeing that it was Stark, he answered. Tony never missed a beat before he spoke.

“Barton, get her back here. Now.”