Chapter 14

Clint

My eyes fluttered open to the sight of an unfamiliar room. I wasn't in my room. The light in the room stung my overly sensitive eyes. Once my eyes had fully adjusted, I glanced around the room. The room was pristine white with machines dotted strategically around the room. There was no one but myself in the room and a steady beeping noise echoed throughout the room. Placing my hands on either side of my chest, I tried to push myself up into a sitting position only to send sharp pangs of pain shooting though my body. I dropped back, my breathing heavy as I tried to cope with the pain. Connected to my left arm was a tube with crimson red liquid running through, and a plastic clip was attached to my finger connecting me to the beeping machine. My hands gently patted down my bare chest trying to locate where the sharp pains were coming from when they came to a large white bandage wrapped around my lower abdomen, my memory slowly began to return to me. Loki. Loki was in my room and he stabbed me. I realised quickly that my attempt at sitting up had been a bad move as blood started to seep through the fabric of the bandage. I looked around from someone or something I could use to get the attention of someone. An orange cord cascaded freely down from the ceiling and I pulled, setting of a small alarm somewhere. Within a minute, Bruce was walking quickly into the room, with a soft smile on his face.

“You're awake,” he stated. “How are you feeling?”

“Sore,” I croaked. “I... Kind of...” I made a gesture at the ever growing red stain on my bandage. Bruce nodded and reached for a pair of scissors to cut off the dirty bandage and set to work on stopping the bleeding. “How long was I out?” I asked genuinely interested.

“Just short of five days.”

“Wow, anything happen?”

“Luckily, no. Thor and Agent Hill still haven't had any luck trying in tracking Loki.” Bruce grimaced.

“I don't think you need to worry about finding Loki. He found us easily enough.” Bruce raised an eyebrow. “What, you didn't think I done this to myself did you?” I chuckled weakly, while coughing.

“Loki did this?” He sounded shocked.

“Yeah, I don't know where he is now though.”

“How did he get into your room?”

“Ah, your guess would be as good as mine would. I was in my room and he just... Appeared.” I told him. I knew I would have to tell Fury what happened.

“Well, you can tell Fury about this later but just now I have to go inform someone that you are awake. They're going to be ecstatic.” Bruce chuckled, heading out of the room, leaving me on my one once again.

A quick ten minutes later and I look around at the door to see Natasha bound in, with a large smile on her face. She took a seat in the plastic chair that was sitting in my bed. She took my hand and wrapped hers carefully around it as if I was made of fine china and she was afraid I was going to break. Her eyes gleamed as she looked at me with soft eyes.

“How do you feel?”

“Sore, but I feel a lot better now that my stomach has stopped bleeding.” I grimaced at the sharp pain shooting out from the wound. Nat placed her hand on my face, cupping it in her hand. He gaze dropped as she started to speak.

“I was so scared, I thought you weren't going to wake up,” Her gaze found mine once more. “I thought I had lost you.” She whispered. I put my hand over hers and leaned against her hand.

“I'm here now. I'm sorry that I scared you. I never meant to.” She smiled and sat quietly a moment, then threw her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I chuckled at her actions.

“Don't do that to me again.”

“I'll try my best not to get stabbed again,” I chuckled at her demand. She pulled out of our embrace and she kissed my lips softly, taking my breath and causing my breath to catch in my throat. I kissed her back, and smiled dreamily against her lips. She tasted sweet, like peaches. Moving back to take her seat again, she broke the kiss, much to my disappointment.

“I missed you, Clint.” She confessed. There was truth behind her words which warmed my heart.

“I missed you too, thank you for staying here beside me.”

“How did you know?” She asked.

“I could hear you talking to me I just couldn't reply. Don't do that yourself again.”

“Do what?”

“Deprive yourself of the basic amenities. You weren't sleeping, you wouldn't leave me to go and eat. I know you wanted me to get better but you need to keep yourself healthy too. Promise you won't put yourself through that again,” I said in a worried tone.

“I promise,” she smiled.

Don’t go where I cannot follow…