Chapter 12

Clint

Loki stood there. I had to blink repeatedly to make sure he was really there and wasn't some sort of mirage, that my weary mind wasn't just trying to play tricks on me. He emerald orbs bore into mine heavily and his lips curled up in a devilish grin. Mischief danced in his eyes.

“What are you doing here?” I growled, my eyes narrowing.

“Oh, it's good to see you too, Agent Barton. You and your friends-”

“The avengers,” I hissed, correcting him. His jaw tightened.

“Do not let your slow mind forget that you are talking to a God, you pathetic mortal. I would spare yourself a lot of trouble and refrain from interrupting me again,” he snarled. “You and your adorable little 'team',” he said in a mocking tone, “really are making this too easy for me. I got on to your ship with great ease. You really should do something about your security. I'm going to destroy this measly little planet along with every mortal on it with the exception of one.” He mused. I raised an eye brow at his statement. Loki had never appeared like the kind of guy to make exceptions. His grin widened. “I speak of your beloved, Agent Barton, Natasha. I'm going to break her to the point she gives in to me. I'm going to kill the only person that matters to her, Agent Barton and in due time she will succumb.” It took a few second for me to realise what he was talking about but by the time my brain had registered what he was saying, Loki way already in front of me with an arm extended towards me thrusting a dagger into my stomach.

His face was mere inches away from mine, his brow dipping, jaw tight and his teeth and his lips curled back clenched in a vicious snarl as he twisted the dagger that was embedded in my stomach, tearing through my flesh as if it were simply made from tissue paper. The pain was excruciating, a burning feeling spreading out from my abdomen and spreading like wild fire throughout my entire body. I felt my face twist and contort, my jaw clenching as I tried to bear through the pain. There wasn’t a single part of my body that wasn't aching. I had never experienced anything like this pain before. I cried out in agony and the green God laughed in my face at the pain he had inflicted on me. In reaction, I lashed out towards Loki but before my hand collided against the God, he disappeared, leaving me alone in my room once more. I clenched my eyes tight and crumpled to the floor in a heap. I pulled out the dagger and clutched the gaping wound in my stomach as if trying to protect it from further damage. I examined the dagger through narrowed eyes. It was a double pointed blade made of dark black obsidian, the handle carved from an equally as dark wood and the wooden handle was encrusted with circular emeralds. My blood dripped off of the obsidian blade and onto the carpet leaving dark red spots. My eyes went hazy and my head felt light as a lack of blood was beginning to take its toll. I could vaguely hear the banging of footsteps running along the corridor outside and I made a feeble attempt to shout for help. There was a knock on my door and someone shouted from the other side.

“Hello, Agent Barton? Agent Barton? Is everything okay?” I couldn't make the voice to a face. The voice called out again before the door to my room opened. It took a few seconds for the person to see me on the floor but once they did they rushed over to me and shook my shoulder gently. I tried to focus on their face but my body was growing weary. The voice spoke once more.

“Agent Barton, you need to open your eyes, you need to stay awake. Can you do that for me? You need to focus on me.” He coaxed, still shaking me gently. He shouted out, “Someone get in here, get some medics. We need some help in here!” I groaned. My body ached, I was so tired. I just... Wanted... To... Sleep...

Natasha

I was still lying against Tony when a voice rang out through my ear piece, catching me off guard.

“Agent Romanoff, to the medical wing.” I looked at Tony with a confused expression and he just shrugged. I got to my feet heading in the direction of the door. I stopped at the door and turned to face Tony.

“I'm going to go see what Fury wants. Talk to Thor, you should be able to work with what I told you,” He nodded in agreement with me. “And Tony? Thank you.” I turned and made my way down the corridors quickly, heading in the direction of the medical wing. I was still baffled to what was going on. It wasn't possible anybody had been hurt because nothing had happened. The day had been quiet, no alarms or anything. But I followed my orders.

I arrived at the medical wing, peering through windows in an attempt to find Director Fury. He appeared in a door way a few feet away from me with a grim expression on his face he spoke.

“Agent Romanoff, over here.” I walked over to him quickly, taking large strides to cover the floor quicker.

“Director?” Taking in his expression, I knew. “Barton? Where is he?”

“Agent Romanoff, please-”

“Cut the crap, Director. Where. The. Hell. Is. Barton?” I spat through clenched teeth.

“He’s in the room at the end of the hall. He was in a bad way, luckily we found him in time. We don't know what happened, an agent found him in a heap on his bedroom floor clutching a dagger with a wound on his abdomen. He's unconscious at the moment but he asked for you just before he passed out.” Fury told me with a sympathetic look. Is reading my mind, Fury spoke once more before leaving me alone in the corridor. “You can go in and see him.” I rushed into the room where Clint was lying on a bed in a peaceful unconscious state. I sat in a plastic seat that was strategically placed next to his bedside. I took his hand and squeezed it gently.

“Clint, you need to be okay. You need to wake up. You can't leave me.” I choked out as tears stormed my face for the second time that day. I didn't know what had happened to Clint but a gut feeling told me that this was my fault. I stroked his hair with my free hand. He looked peaceful, his body still apart from his chest that was rising and falling slowly. His skin was deathly pale but his skin was warm. I pressed my lips to his forehead, a few tears cascading from my face on his. My heart fluttered irregularly as my eye I caught a glimpse of a blood bag connected to his arm. It pained me to see him like this. What if he didn't wake up?