Chapter 17

Natasha

Two days had passed since the conversation with Director Fury, life on the aircraft carrier had been quiet, Loki had been behaving himself and today, Doctor Banner had given Clint the all clear and he know had permission to leave the hospital wing. After checking over Clint and having him walk about his room under Bruce's supervision to make sure the wound wasn't going to reopen, Doctor Banner told him he could leave. Clint's eyes lit up like a child's when they wake up on Christmas morning with a large pile of presents under the towering Christmas tree when he received the news. Helping Clint into some loosely fitting clothes, a pair of grey slacks and an old t-shirt, I walked with Clint to his room, my arm wrapped tightly around his waist and his arm draped over my shoulders to give him some much needed support. Every few steps, Clint drew in a sharp breath through his tightly clenched teeth as shooting pains spread out from his injury. Arriving at his room, I used my free hand to open the door and help him inside, setting him down carefully on his bed as he tried to steady out his breathing. My eyes wandered around his room before gazing upon a deep red stain in the carpet by his bathroom door. My stomach lurched.

“I'll get someone to change the carpet,” I said to Clint, grimacing. Clint's gaze followed mine, his expression twisting at the memories.

“I think that would be a good idea, thanks.” I nodded, taking a seat beside Clint on his bed, the mattress dipping slightly where I sat. Clint took my hand in his, his large hands moulding around mine and his long, elegant fingers closed around his hands. “Natasha,” he began in a soft tone, “There's something I... There's something I want to tell you.” I stared up at him with expectant eyes, capturing his gaze with in my own. Something in his eyes sparkled, making whatever he was about to say seem that little bit more sincere and heart felt. “I know with everything that is happening and with everything that is about to come to light that this probably the last thing you want to here right now, but I have to get it off my chest. I... I want to be with you, Natasha. I have for a long time now, from the moment I met you, I knew I had to make a different call, and, well, I'm glad I did. Over the last few years, you have been the only one I have felt at peace around, be it out on a mission or shooting a couple of rounds out down in the training room. It had taken me two years to string together the courage to ask you out to dinner,” he laughed lightly, “And I was the happiest guy when you said yes. I know, that you are scared because of Loki, I can see it in your eyes but I promise that I'll protect you, I promise to keep you safe, Natasha. I guess what I'm trying to say is-” I cut him short and finished his sentence for him.

“That I love you.” My voice sounded so quiet and far off I was afraid Clint hadn't heard me. Taking a deep breathe, I said it again, my voice louder this time and a lot more confident. “I love you, Clint.” I told him as my head reached out to touch his face. He leant in against my touch and closing his eyes, the corners of his mouth pulling up to show a smile. His face seemed to be glowing, and when his eyes opened once more he stared into my eyes with such admiration and genuine happiness that I thought my heart was going to melt. I leant forward and capture his lips in a passionate kiss, and from his lips I drew out his words that he was struggling to say.

“I love you too, Natasha.”

Clint

“I love you too, Natasha.” I confessed, breathlessly before I closed the small space between us once more. My hands tangled in Natasha's fiery auburn hair, and pulled her as close to me as I could without causing any unnecessary pain to my stomach. I had missed this feeling, the feeling of Natasha's lips against mine, while I had been in the medical wing. Natasha pulled me back so we were both lying on our backs. Moving her face away from mine, she lay her head against my chest, her right arm curled beneath her while her left hand was resting gently on top of my bandaged abdomen, rubbing it gently in circular movements. Her soothing movements put a stop to the sharp pains, and reduced any pain to a dull feeling. I relaxed back into my bed as I wrapped my arm around Natasha and we well asleep together, completely exhausted from recent events that taken place over the past week.

Loki

There I stood in the dark chambers of Agent Barton, watching him and my dear, Natasha, in a peaceful state. I was kicking myself internally for not succeeding with my plan of killing Agent Barton. These mortals were not as weak as they had once let on, and their advance in medicine was ever growing. Watching him there with his hands on what is rightfully mine caused my blood to seethe and boil. I would have her where she came willingly or not. If she chose the latter of the two it would only mean more pain and heartache on her behalf and I would get the satisfaction of ripping Agent Barton's heart out his feeble, pathetic, mortal body while she watched. A allowed a smirk to grace my lips at the thought of that marvellous plan. I never failed to surprise myself with the devious plans I could conjure up, I thought giddily to myself as I stared upon the sleeping mortals. In their present state, they looked so weak, so fragile and so breakable. I could kill Agent Barton right here, but where is the pleasure in doing that. I thought it only fair that my dear, Natasha should choose his fate. No matter what she chose, the inevitability would result in the death of the Agent, but she didn't need to know that. Did she? I knew if I gave her just a small ounce of hope, it would cause her even more pain when I crushed that tiny amount of hope that I had allowed her.