Chapter 16

Natasha

“Agent Barton, Agent Romanoff, Tony! Would someone please like to tell me what the hell you are all talking about?” Fury shouted. He was obviously frustrated that he wasn't in on what we were talking about and that he wasn't the first to know about all of this.

“Who wants to tell him? I vote Natasha and then Clint and I'll just stand and stay quiet,” Tony suggested. Fury snorted at his comment.

“You staying quiet? That would be a first, Mr Stark.” He scoffed.

“Hey!” Tony whined. I shook my head at them and started to explain to Director about the dream I had, about Loki's plans to take over the nine realms and about his disturbing plans for me. Then, once I was finished, Clint carried on with his end of the story.

“Loki was in my room, Director. I don't know how he got there but he did. Then he started talking his plans. He told me that he planned on destroying the planet, and everything on the planet, everything, that is except Natasha. That is why he tried to kill me; he is trying to get to her, break her down until she gives in to him. And with what Natasha has just told us it's because he wants her as his queen,” Clint whispered the last word, his eyes glazed over and staring off blindly into the open space in front of him. Those final words cut into my heart, sending sharp pangs of pain through my body. The very thought of being with Loki made me want to hurl. Who could see themselves spending the rest of their days with a cruel, sadistic God with daddy problems? Not me, that was for sure. What Clint had just told us had merely confirmed all of my worst fears. Loki had learned my one weakness, Clint, and now... He was going to use it against me. He was going to break me and he was going to do it through Clint. Clint is thick skinned but Loki is a lot stronger than he is and won't stop until he gets what he wants. He doesn't stand a chance against Loki. This is all my fault. I couldn't bear to imagine living with Clint; we had spent nearly every day together for the past few years. He was always there for me. He has been my partner, my best friend and now whatever we were becoming. It makes me feel vulnerable to even admit it to myself but I love him. I can't survive without him.

Clint

Silence hung heavily in the air as everyone just stared blankly; even the infamous Tony Stark was speechless. The colour had slowly begun to drain from Natasha's cheeks as what we had just spoken about had begun to sink in; she looked as if someone had just walked over her grave. I knew exactly what she was thinking, that me being injured was her fault, but she was wrong and I would take what I had been given a thousand times over for her. As soon as I got her alone I would tell her that. Loki could through his best at me. My heart was telling me to tell her how I feel; I felt she at least deserved to know. My mind started to run over what I could tell her, and it quickly arrived at an offending question; what if she rejected what I had to say? I fought to push the thought to the back of my head. I doubted myself I would never pull together the courage to tell her. I had to tell her.

Fury was pacing the floor now, his heavy combat boots padding loudly against the white linoleum floor. Tony had returned to cleaning the spaghetti from the floor, the sauce leaving a light red stain and Natasha just stared blindly at me, obviously hopelessly lost in deep thought. She was snapped back into reality when Director Fury started speaking, his tone harsh and clearly showed the annoyance in his voice.

“I'll inform Doctor Banner, Thor and Captain Rogers on the situation.” He told us, pivoting on his heels to point at me and Natasha with accusing fingers. “You two, you do not leave the ship. I don't want either of you on your own at any time. Is that clear? I actually came down here to tell you three about a new addition to the team. Her name is Aria. She is trained in martial arts in every martial art, she is quick she is witty and she is everything this team needs. She's good with guns, throwing daggers and a master with a bow. She will be arriving here in three days. I want you children to play nice. Got it?” Everyone nodded and Fury exited, with Tony on his heels, leaving me and Natasha alone, in a slightly uncomfortable silence.