Chapter 38

Clint

I opened my eyes to be faced with a blindingly bright light. Glancing around the room, I realised that I was, once again, in the hospital wing wrapped in bandages and connected to machines. Waking up in a state like this wasn't something that you ever got used to, even in a profession like my own. Feeling fed up already with my immobile state, I started pulling myself free of the wires and tubing, feeling fit enough to get up and walk around. There was a slight pain in my shoulders but other than that I felt fine, my body felt groggy as it still attempted to wake itself up, but otherwise fine. Out in the corridor, Doctor Banner knocked into me as he walked blindly down the corridor with his attention drawn to a clipboard in his hand. He stumbled back and glanced at me with a shocked expression.

“You, shouldn't be moving around. You should be in bed resting,” He stated as his brow dipped. “But I know that isn't going to stop you so my saying this is completely pointless.” He threw up his arms in defeat before glancing back to the clipboard in his hands. “Actually, your the person I wanted to speak too. You chose the perfect time to wake up.” He said with a soft smile.

“What's on your mind, Doc?” I said in a hoarse voice.

“Well, I have Natasha's blood test here-”

“Why would you be taking Natasha's blood? Is she okay?” I cut in.

“She took a bad turn, she struggled to breathe. She's okay now. I have reason to believe the reason behind it was from a knife wound from Loki. I think he poisoned her. I found cyanide in her blood, which would explain her difficulty breathing, but that isn't what I wanted to talk to you about.” Bruce explained.

“What's wrong?” He was beginning to worry me now, I wish he would just get to the point.

“Well, I found traces of hCG in her blood.” He looked to me with soft eyes, but I had no idea what that even stood for. He sensed my confusion and quickly proceeded to explain. HCG stands for human chorionic gonadotropin.” Still nothing. “It's found in the blood of pregnant women.” He stated bluntly. I stared at him, my body frozen. I just stood there, speechless. What was he telling me? He couldn't possibly be telling me what I thought he was telling me, could he? I... Wow.

“Natasha's...?” I choked.

“I do believe so. I think an ultra sound would confirm my beliefs but I think it would be best to wait a week or so before we carry one out. I haven't had a chance to tell Natasha the news yet, but I think you should have the honour. She's just down the hall, she's just woken up.” Bruce informed me.

“Oh, god. And what is happening with Loki and Agent Black?” I asked. Due to being unconscious for countless days, I was out of sync with things that had been going on around the ship.

“Loki, is in lock down. Thor will be returning back to Asgard with him to await judgement from Odin. And Agent Black... Well, she passed away. She had bled out from a bullet wound in her leg. While we were gone no one checked on her wounds and one wound started haemorrhaging again.”

“Oh, well, that's unfortunate. Thanks Doc,” I hugged him quickly as I sped down the hall to Natasha's room who shot to an upright position as I burst through the door.

“Clint!” She exclaimed, her voice muffled slightly by the oxygen mask on her face. She smiled at me as I made my way over to her. “You're awake.” I took her hand.

“Yeah, I am,” I smiled at her, staring at her with raw love and affection burning in my eyes.

“How do you feel?” She asked me, playing with the edge of the bandages around my shoulders.

“I couldn't possibly feel any better.” I informed her. “I have some really important news.”

“So do I.”

“Well, you go first,” I offered. I watched her take a deep breath and stare off with distant eyes. There was a few minutes of silence before she spoke again. She looked back at me with glazed eyes, soft and sad.

“I'm quitting.” She stated. “I can't do this any more. This is more than fighting bad guys. This is monsters and magic and everything we weren't trained for. I can't do it.” I nodded, understanding completely how she felt.

“You've thought about this?” She nodded. “And you're sure this is what you want?” Again, she nodded. I squeezed her hand tightly.

“Then, we'll tell Fury.” I told her, her eyes gleamed. “What will you do?”

“Thank you Clint, for understanding that I have to do this. I'm actually going to go back to Stark industries. Tony has held a position for me and I'm going to take him up on his offer. What was the news you had to tell me?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. I smiled and pressed my lips to the back of her small hand in mine. “Clint?”

“I met Banner out in the hall and he told me... Natasha, you're pregnant.” My eyes began to water as did Natasha's. For the first time ever, Natasha let he tears fall shamelessly down her face and she laughed.

“I'm... I... A little baby. A little baby you.” She clutched her stomach, like a protective mother. Pulling the oxygen away from her face, she laughed again. “Get over here.” I leant in to her face, and kissed her for the fist time in days but somehow, it felt different, almost like it was the first time. There was a new passion, a new love, a new need. Natasha and I, the final pieces to the puzzle. And the completed masterpiece held new opportunities for us. This was only the beginning.

The End of Book 1.

The story continues in Call it a Witch Hunt and If I Got Everything That I Wanted.