Chapter 13

It had been three days since Clint had slipped into unconsciousness and I had spent every moment of it by his side. Over the course of those three days, each member of the team had made a few visits; Tony came down a couple of times a day, to find out if his condition had changed and brought me food- not that I had an appetite, although Tony and Bruce both began to pick up on the amount of untouched meals that sat beside me- because I refused to leave his side; Bruce came in every hour or so to check over him and to change his bandages because he had personally been put in charge of Clint's health; Steve came down every morning and every morning and sat beside me quietly, with his hand on my shoulder in a comforting way; Thor visited when he could as him and Agent Hill were working around the clock trying to track down Loki. There had still been no sign of Loki or the Enchantress. All the while I stayed throughout both the day and night. I could bring myself to leave him. What if he woke up while I was away? He looked so peaceful. I wonder if he was dreaming or if he could hear me. I spoke to him often when we were alone together.

“Clint, please wake up,” I pleaded, sobbing quietly. “Wake up.” I hated crying because it showed weakness but in with the present situation, I didn't care; I was tired and my mind was exhausted. I just wanted him to wake up; I wanted my best friend back. Things were looking up for us both, for once. We had just started to explore the feelings that were obviously mutual between us. He had to wake up. He just had too. I would give anything for him to wake up.

“Do you remember Nepal, Clint?” I swore his lips twitched at the corners. I smiled a little. “We were sent in to gather Intel, me, you and Bobbi. That was when she broke up with you and once the mission was over, she left for home. We got Coulson to ask the board of directors for permission for some down time while we were over there. We needed to take your mind off of Bobbi so I got you drunk, do you remember? It was about twenty three hundred hours and we were both pretty far gone by this point, leaning against each other because we could no longer really support ourselves. Then Bobbi walked in.” I laughed as I recalled the memory. “And I broke her pretty little jaw. Coulson didn’t even care, and Fury nodded in approval. That was the weekend we made a pact; we would stick together, we would trust each other because we didn’t have anyone else that understood and we wouldn’t go anywhere that the other couldn’t follow.”

I was sitting beside Clint, deep in thought when a hand on my shoulder startled me almost causing me to jump out of my skin. I turned to see Director Fury standing over me with a concerned look on his face and Bruce standing beside him...

“He's going to wake,” Doctor Banner said, reassuring me. “His body just needs to rest. It needs time to cope with the injury, it needs to repair itself.”

“He's been out for three days, Bruce,” I choked. “Three days, Bruce.”

“It takes time. His vitals are good and the wound is healing well. I'll change his dressing again in an hour.” Bruce told me. I nodded.

“Natasha, when was the last time you slept?” He asked in a soft voice.

“About three days ago, sir.” I answered truthfully knowing that it would be pointless to lie to him.

“Go to your room and get some sleep.”

“I can't leave him.”

“Natasha, he'll be okay.” Bruce reassured me.

“He is in good hands. He will be here when you wake up.” Fury pointed out but I shook my head.

“I won't leave him, sir.”

“You are exhausted, Natasha. You need to get some sleep.”

“Director Fury is right. You are wearing your body out. It's becoming unhealthy. You need to get some rest.”

“I'm fine,” I lied.

“I'm not asking, I'm telling you. Go and get some rest, Agent Romanoff and that is an order.” Director Fury said in a stern voice but with a hint of sadness in his voice. I nodded and rose to my feet. I pressed my lips against his head quickly. “You'll be the first to know if his condition changes, we will send for you. Now, go and get some rest.” I smiled gratefully at Fury and Doctor Banner before leaving the medical room. I knew they were right but it pained me to leave him. There was some comfort in their words but it still made me uncomfortable to be away from him. When I arrived at my room I slipped into an old top and a pair of slacks and climbed into my bed, pulling my covers up around my neck. I fell unconscious as soon as my head hit my pillow, my hand curling instinctively around the hand gun beneath it. It was a dreamless sleep, which I was more than grateful for. I don't think my mind could handle another nightmare like the one I had only a few nights before. I must have slept easily twelve hours when someone placed a light hand on my shoulder shook it gently, waking me from my deep slumber. I looked up at Tony with tired eyes, my gaze blurry as my eyes slowly adjusted to the light in the room. He was smiling down at me, the first genuine smile I had seen since Clint had been injured.

“He's awake, Nat.”