Chapter 22

Clint

When we returned back to base, we were greeted on the landing platform by Director Fury, who for the first time in his life was actually smiling. Standing slightly behind him was Agent Hill, we arms folded across her chest and, standing beside her with her face twisted into a bitter scowl was Agent Aria Black, much to my dismay. Steve walked off of the helicopter with Natasha and me at his flanks. He stalked right up to Fury, stopping only a few feet in front of him. Natasha snaked her arm around my forearm and with each step we took towards the patiently waiting company, her grip on my arm tightened. Stealing a quick glance in Natasha's direction, I caught sight of the hard expression that she wore. The hard expression was accompanied by a cold glare and her jaw set firmly as she stared out towards the waiting company. Director Fury nodded in Natasha's direction, his hands clasped behind his back while the ends of his trench coat followed freely in the cold but gentle breeze.

“It is good to have you back, Agent Romanoff. I had the strongest faith that you would succeed in returning her to us in one peace, Agent Barton.”

“It's good to be back, sir.” Natasha admitted, trying to sound sincere as she spat out the words through clenched teeth. What was with her?

“Yes. Where are Mr Stark and Doctor Banner?” Fury's brow dipped as he asked the big question that dominated his mind.

“What? Agent Barton couldn't bring them back in one piece but could for his girlfriend?” Scoffed a small voice from behind Fury. Director Fury pivoted around to face Agent Black and was about to go through her for yet again bursting out with an uncalled for comment but someone beaten him to it.

“Shut. Up.” Natasha spat. Everyone snapped their heads around to face Natasha. Agent Black just smirked. “This really isn't the time for you to start your shit, Aria.”

“You two know each other?” Director Fury said in an almost hysterical cry.

“Unfortunately, yes.” Natasha hissed.

“Sorry to disrupt this very touching moment, but can the reminiscing about old times wait just now?” Steve sighed in an unamused tone. He wasn't used to the dramatic antics that being in this team brought about and I doubted that he ever would.

“Yes, Captain. Where is Stark and Banner?” Fury asked again getting back to the matter at hand.

“They stayed behind; they are still at the apartment where we found Natasha. They are waiting for Loki to return. They request back up.” Steve proceeded to fill Fury in on the details.