3| Strange

Shayam Mathur

"Where is the patient admitted in an accident case just now?" I asked the receptionist.

"The ICU, take the left and straight" she showed me the direction and I ran there.

I can't believe I almost ran down someone by my car. I just hope that person is in a better condition now. I feel very horrible. I was so drunk that I couldn't even see who's got hurt. As far as I remember, it's a little boy or girl. The moment I released what happened, all my drowsiness was gone. A fear gripped my soul. No! I can never be able to forgive myself if anything happens to him or her.

I ran to the ICU to see a girl crying as a little boy was leaning on her shoulder. Their hairs were messed and blood stains were visible on their clothes. Their tear stained face reminded me how cruel I was. I was hesitant in going to them but I at least have to make sure the patient is alright.

Taking steady yet fearful steps to them, I gulped looking at the tension in the air. The little boy seemed calm and was a bit sleepy but that teen girl was still crying. It crunched my heart to see a year rolling down.

"Excuse me, mam" I called out for her, in my most fragile voice ever. She immediately looked up at me and was staring at me. A few seconds later, her eyes showed anger. I still remember that tight slap of hers. The anger in me rose.

"I am so sorry for running down the car on.." I wasn't able to finish my sentence. The next moment, I held my jaw tightly, feeling the pain of her punch. She got up from her chair, making the little boy too confused. Her deep brown eyes were glaring at me and I could see rage in her.

"How dare you?" I felt guilty.

"I'm so sorry miss. It was my fault. I was drunk and I didn't do this in my conscious. I'm so sorry" I said genuinely. Her eyes seemed to relax a bit later.

"How's he?" I asked.

"It's she. My sister. She's fine but got a few stitches in her arm and forehead. I can't believe you did this" her voice was sounding angry, but not as angry as before.

"I'm really sorry miss. I can't tell you how sorry I am" I said genuinely. By now, I know her anger is justified and I cannot be angry on her for the slap and punch. After all her sister got stitches cause of me.

We sat down on the bench outside the ICU and a complete silence surrounded the place.

Suddenly the door burst open and a couple of doctors walked out.

"Doctor, how's she?" Her sister was panicked.

"She's alright now, the stitches are done. She'll come to conscious within two hours, no need to worry" I sighed in relief after hearing what the doctor said.

"Can I meet her?" The little boy asked.

"She'll be shifted to a regular ward and then you can" the doctor said, ruffling his hair. We sat back on the bench and waited for the girl to be shifted to a general division.

As soon as she was shifted, I saw her sister hugging her lightly with tears. The little boy too held her hands. They seem to be of the same age while their elder sister was much older.

I looked at the little girl on the bed. She was beautiful, but the bandages and pale face made me very guilty. We sat there until a nurse came up, asking for us to pay the bill and getting some medicines

"I'll just go, get it" I snatched the prescription list and ran to the pharmacy. Buying the necessities and paying the bill, I was on my way back to the room when my phone rang. Not bothering to see who's it, I pressed red and switched it off.

Handing over the medicines to the nurse, she removed a syringe and inserted it in the little girl's arm. It made me so freaking sad.

"I'm so sorry, I'll do anything to see this little girl back as before" I said heavily, after the nurse left

"The damage is already done. Anyways, you may leave. I'll take care and give me your details so I can transfer the amount back" she said in a sad yet with a pinch of sarcasm in it

"No way, I'll bare the expenses and will take care of her till she's normal" I said. I need to do it. I can't let anyone suffer like this cause of me. I decided never to drunk drive again and also took a vow to stop drinking though it's a part of me.

"No need of your sympathy, you may get lost" she snapped angrily and I reminded silent.

"No, it's my duty. I'm obliged to do it. I'm very sorry, I really am. But I'm not going to leave her in here right like this, I'm sorry again" I said. We argued a lot but I was adamant too, maybe more than her.

Soon police arrived and we had to tell them everything since it's an accident. I  told them everything that happened, gearing myself to be in the lock up if that's what is to be done.

"Mam, do you want to file a complaint?" The cop asked.

"No officer, my sister is fine now. I don't want anymore complications. Let him go" she said. She turned to me.

"Will you ever do such a thing again?" She eyes held anger

"No, never miss.." I said

"Shanaya, it's Shanaya Singhania" she said.

"Yes miss Shanaya, I'll make sure this never happens again cause of me"  she nodded.

We sat back at the bench outside the room. The cops left and there was complete silence. I kept looking at her as she started dozing off. Without realising, I somehow felt my heart beat rapid. Isn't it strange?