Confusion

"You can't be sure of that!!" I whisper yelled at Gavin, who appeared in my room a few moments earlier.

"Yes, I can!" He whispers back.

"How? The last time I skipped a meal I got yelled at and almost hit!" I was getting angrier. He must not understand the full risk of this.

"Because it's already done," he said simply.

I paused, my hands holding the sweater just below my sports bra. I pulled the rest down, "What?"

"Follow me," he motioned for me to follow.

"One sec." I slipped on my shoes and chased after him. Dang, he's fast. He stopped at the dining room, leaving me to stare in awe.

The whole table was filled with pack members, except for the higher ranks, eating a breakfast prepared. No one even glanced my way. My eyes wandered to the living room which was spotless.

Gavin looked at me expectantly. The slight fear of punishment was there, but the desire to see my second mother again overran it.

"Let's go," I finally decided.

I followed Gavin up the steps to his parent's house, admiring it

I followed Gavin up the steps to his parent's house, admiring it. The last time I was here was before... the incident. Since then, I guess, they've been cautious to invite me. I'm excited, to say the least.

Gavin walked right in, slid off his shoes, and announced his presence. I followed his lead into the living room. "Is Gavi here?" Mrs. Yern yelled from the basement.

"Yeah, I'm here," I smiled. The Yerns are like a second family to me.

Mine is... pretty distant to say the least.

Well, the rest of it.

Soft thudding footsteps came from the basement stairs."Hey, sweetie welcome back," Mrs. Yern hugged me tightly.

"Hello, Mrs. Yern. What-"

"GAAAAAVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!" a grinning kid ran up to me and hugged my leg.

"Why hello there, Matthias. How have you been?" I smiled at the toothy-grinned 5-year-old. When I was over last we played a lot of hide and seek and tag. The kid was freaking adorable.

"Great! ... Can I show you something secret?" Matty whispered the last part.

"Sure," I smiled, happy he wanted to share it with me.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me in the direction of the hallway.

"I'll be back soon," I hollered over my shoulder.

I expected to find myself in Matty's room but we ended up in Gavin's instead. His room was quite bleak with all black and white, no real color. But one wall was filled endlessly with pictures of his family, my family, and Oliver's family.

I raised an eyebrow at Matty. He chuckled and walked over to Gavin's dresser, opening the bottom drawer. Inside was filled with underwear.

"Matty what the heck!?"

He giggled as if he was the only one who knew the location of the biggest secret gold mine in the world and squeezed his little fingers underneath the underwear and pulled up.

What?

The underwear was actually attached to a plank that was hiding a secret compartment. Inside was candy, candy, and more candy. Some chocolate some hard. Everywhere.

I laughed and patted Matty on the back. "Good job Matty. Now, should we eat it in front of him or just take it?"

"Let's eat it in front of him," Matty gave me a mischievous, toothy, grin. I like the way he thinks.

We gather all the candy and hid the most of it in Matty's room. We took the small portion and took it to the couch. We spread it out and started digging in. I unwrapped a small Hershey and savored the lovely taste on my tongue.

We soon heard padding footsteps coming from behind us. Gavin must have been drawn in by the sound of the wrapper being torn open.

"Wheeeeeere did you get that?"

"Oh you know, nowhere," I giggled along with Matty.

"Is that..."

"From my stash?" he choked in disbelief, his hand over his mouth.

"Maybe," I shifted in my seat getting ready to sprint. Matty just sat there giggling and eating.

As if a switch flipped in his head, he went from sad into angry.

"You better run," he whispered but I heard it.

I sprinted out the front door hearing loud footsteps following closely behind. We ran around the house 3 times before I tripped on a stick. I went tumbling and Gavin followed. He landed across my stomach, his head planted on the grass.

We lie there for a few minutes, panting.

"Breakfast?"

I nodded, "Breakfast."

Once inside we found Matty bouncing in his chair waiting for us to come.

Maybe all that sugar wasn't a good idea after all.