Murder Mysteries

"The tapping is starting to get annoying," I say , walking into Stefan's room. He opens his eyes and stops hitting his ring against the table. He meets my eyes and let's out a sigh. "Oh c'mon, tell your sister what's got your shorts in a knot?" I joke, talking to him in a baby voice. He sends me a glare. I am about to reply until I hear Damon walk in. He glances at me before looking at Stefan.

"Dear Diary," he speaks dramatically. "A chipmunk asked me my name today I told him it was Joe. That lie will haunt me forever." Stefan glares at Damon before getting up to put his journal back on the shelf.

"What do you two want?" He groans, glancing at us.

"I just came to annoy you," I reply honestly, causing Stefan to roll his eyes.

"Well I was hoping we could hang, a little family bonding," Damon says, causing me to laugh. Family bonding my ass! "I know we don't actually "hang out". We team up, we join forces, we activate our Salvatore Siblings powers," He continues, walking over to where all of Stefan's journals/diaries are.

"What are you doing?" Stefan asks as Damon starts sorting through the journals.

"Digging up clues. Most of the Originals are gone, but now we have a whodunit in town," He pauses his actions, glancing at Stefan. " Hey, do you remember when we came back for Zachariah's funeral?"

I frown at his questions, Zachariah? Who is that? What funeral?

"Vaguely," Stefan answers. "Why?"

"If memory serves he wasn't the first Founder's Council member killed that year or even that month."

"Your point being?" I ask, getting interested in the conversation. I step closer to Damon, watching as he continues to sift through Stefan's journals.

"I'm trying to remember what year that was," he states, looking through some of the pages.

"1912," Stefan answers without for hesitation.

"So much for vaguely," Damon says tossing a journal at Stefan, who catches it effortlessly. "1912, or as I like to call it: last time Mystic Falls had a serial killer on it's hands."

Stefan looks down at the journal and starts to read, after a couple seconds I steal it from his hands. "It feels strange to be home again after so long away. I thought I would never return. Certainly not for a funeral..."

As I continue reading Stefan's entry in his journal I realize that Zachariah is our nephew, a very great one at that, but still our nephew.

"Wait," I address my brothers, "Since when were there any Salvatores after us?" My brows furrow as I question my brothers.

Damon smirks at me, "Guess you don't know everything then. What happened to you "knowing people" who knew things?" He grins, mocking me.

I scoff in return, rolling my eyes as I chuck the journal at his face. It hits him squarely on the nose before he captures it in his hands. "You're a jerk," I tell him. He smirks even wider in return

"I know," he winks. "What do you say, siblings? You wanna go get drunk?"

Stefan walks toward Damon, grabbing the journal out of his hand, "Ahhh, I get it, I get it. You're bored! Your best friend's in jail and you don't have anything better to do with yourself."

"Well, there's that and I was hoping you two could help me solve a murder." Damon grins at Stefan, taking the journal out of his hand, leaving the room. Stefan and I share a look before following.

...

Walking into the Grill with my brothers, Damon whispers in my ear, "Oh, She-Devil at nine o'clock." Turning, I spot Rebekah talking with Carol. I roll my eyes at her antics, knowing that she can't be up to any good. We head to the bar, all taking a seat. "So what does a medical examiner, Bill Forbes, and Alaric Saltzman have in common?" Damon asks us. Stefan ignores him, tapping his ring on the counter like he was doing this morning. "Come on, knock it off," Damon shoves his arm. Stefan doesn't glance at him as he leans over reaching for a bottle and a glass, pouring himself a drink. I follow suit, grabbing my own glass before stealing the bottle away from Stefan as I pour my drink. "You know, quitting blood cold turkey after a ripper binge might not be the best approach. Every time you play that all-or-nothing game, you eventually leave a trail of bodies. So, I'm thinking, now is a good time to pay our old friend moderation a visit," Damon tells Stefan.

Stefan ignores his comment, answering his previous question, "They were all on the Founders' Council, Damon. That's what they all have in common."

Damon internalizes this before continuing his questioning out loud. "But why them? Huh? Brian Walters and Alaric weren't from founding families. I mean, hey, if you're gonna slaughter council members, go A-list. At least in 1912 they killed a Salvatore," he mutters, pouring himself a drink as well.